• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having issues with my MSI 890GXM-G65 motherboard!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

foxman350

Registered
I have a MSI 890 GXM-g65 mother board, and a AMD phenom2 X2 555 unlocked to 4 cores and running stable at 3.4ghz. Here is my issue, My cpu temp hovers around 53 C while running prime 95, my cpu core temp is at 41 C . When i try to over clock if i get my cpu temp to 58 c the system shuts down, is there a way to shut this off on the motherboard somehow?

other notes:
Using a H50 Setup
OCZ memory 4gb

That H50 should keep that thing cool... Are you using a push/pull fan setup and is it getting cool ambient air or case air?

Check in the hardware monitoring section of that bios for temperature thresholds. It should be in there...

I would think that 41 c core temp is pretty good at 100% load, cpu temp is something that i feel should easily go higher than 58 without issues, because even at 58 cpu temp, cpu core temps are still at 46 while at 100 load using prime. So the system should not shut down. I cant find any place to adjust thermal thresholds. And yes i am using a push pull fan setup.

Have you checked your bios to see if it has a shutdown temp control. It is usually found in the tab "PC Health" or something like that and if its there you can typically set the threshold temp to your liking. It may be set too low at present. set it to at least 60c.

Going to hit you with several questions the answers will help to figure out what is happening.

I downloaded your manual and looked through your bios settings and could not find anything that allows a threshold to be adjusted. But I will ask this, you say its stable at 3.4ghz and 53C.

1.Why do you think its the temp threshold that is shutting down the system and not possibly an unstable overclock as you push higher?

2.Have you tried putting it back to 2 cores and overclocking it to the point where it is shutting down now? maybe one of the cores isn't taking the OC very well and causing the problem. :shrug: Just guessing and trying to rule things out.

3.What all settings have you changed on the OC to get it to the point where it is shutting down? are you using the bios to change the settings or software?

4.When you installed the H50 what header pin did you hook the pump to? what header pin did you hook the fan to?

MSIMB.jpg

5.Did you go into the bios and set CPU FAN header to "3 pin"? CPU Smart Fan target to "Disabled"? Sys Fan control to "100%"?

MSIbios.jpg

If the pump is hooked up to CPUFAN header then it should be reporting 1400rpm using hardware monitor on that header. The fan, if hooked to the SYSFAN header, should be reporting 2000rpm I believe, Or you can check in bios like above pic.

If you hooked the pump up to SYSFAN just make sure it is set to 100% in bios, and if you hooked the fan to the CPUFAN header make sure its set to 3PIN and SmartFan disabled once you get the heat under control then you can change the Smartfan to allow the fan to adjust as needed.

Last edited:
I would think that 41 c core temp is pretty good at 100% load, cpu temp is something that i feel should easily go higher than 58 without issues, because even at 58 cpu temp, cpu core temps are still at 46 while at 100 load using prime. So the system should not shut down. I cant find any place to adjust thermal thresholds. And yes i am using a push pull fan setup.
Not all boards have an adjustable shut-down temp but almost all boards have thermal protection and the motherboard's CPU (socket) temp is usually used for that temp sensing. My guess is the board thinks the CPU is running too hot and is shutting down. A high CPU (socket) temp is very common with water-cooled systems. Air-cooled systems have a CPU fan keeping the air stirred up in the CPU area. With water-cooling that added air movement is missing, which often leads to added heat around the CPU even though the core temps are fine.

There are a couple of things you can do that might help but more information about your system is needed, specifically video card (if any) and case information including any added fans. This can be an easy fix (with luck) or it may be more involved - it all depends on the case and video card ...

I set items listed in bios as you have above. I started with the h50 plugged into the cpu header, and it read 1400 rpms, I have since moved it to its own plug in, and moved my side 220mm fan plug-in to the cpu header so there is no errors popping up. I would hope that the 220mm side fan is providing aire movement around the cpu socket.

I have set the cpu to 3.2 with all cores unlocked, and just upped the core voltage while running prime 95 which cause my temps to rise, and when the temp reaches 58 it shuts down, if i do a combo multiplier plus core voltage , it shuts down at 58. I put it down to 2 cores and ran it to 58(this takes a lot of effort) and it shuts down

It has a palit 460 sonic platinum 1gb.

Another thing i found was wierd, if run prime and let the monitor shut off, my temps drop by around 5 c and when i turn the monitor back on the temps go back up, very wierd i think, but dont think is related to my issue.

Another thing i found was wierd, if run prime and let the monitor shut off, my temps drop by around 5 c and when i turn the monitor back on the temps go back up, very wierd i think, but dont think is related to my issue.

This could be because of cool n quiet

I have set the cpu to 3.2 with all cores unlocked, and just upped the core voltage while running prime 95 which cause my temps to rise, and when the temp reaches 58 it shuts down, if i do a combo multiplier plus core voltage , it shuts down at 58. I put it down to 2 cores and ran it to 58(this takes a lot of effort) and it shuts down

What voltage are you setting the cpu to? this is out of curiosity since it sounds like QI is on to what is happening.

Last edited:
It probably is related and the reason I asked about case model and video card, which was ignored. But, hey, you've been around awhile - twice as long as me, in fact - I'm sure you'll figure it out ...

Last edited:
Sorry missed you asking about the case.. NZXT Vulcan, Video card as mentioned is Palit 460 Sonic platinum 1gb, Have a h50 in push pull configuration on the intake, two 120mm exhaust fans at the top, and a 200mm fan intake on the side. Cool and quiet is disabled.

With all 4 cores, i have never had to set the voltage higher than 1.475 to get up to 58C.

On a side note I've been registered for a long time, not active. This is my first attempt with an amd build so my knowledge is super limited. Thought it would be fun to try something new.

I don't suppose the 200mm fan is reversible? It would help a lot if the video card heat were being pulled out of the case closer to the source rather than exhausting through the CPU area.

Also, my apologies for not seeing the video card called out - my bad ... *redface*

Last edited:
It is reversible, i used it as intake, for like you said the air around the socket could get hotter using a water cooled setup, but can definitely try turning it around. I assume as long as there is air movement in the area it should be fine. But during prime my video card is only reaching about 35 c so not sure if its adding that much heat, but i guess any extra in this case and it could be bad.

I looked up the fan spec's and if you turn the 200mm (166 CFM) into an exhaust and turn the other three (four?) into intakes that should balance the airflow pretty good. If you're using the stock 120mm's they are 47 CFM each and the rear 92mm is ~30 CFM so 124 IN, 166 OUT. It would be nice if there were two fans in the top pushing in, the balance would be better (Edit: second look - I guess there are), but it's not that big a deal with all the air vents in that case. :)

PS
I'm also basing the heat situation on your report of temps going up 5°C with the monitor on instead of off. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is the extra video load unless you have some odd physical arrangement of monitor and case on your desktop ...

Last edited:
will give it a shot on monday, when i'm at the office. I think having the air blow from the top fins in almost directly on the socket might be a real good thing.

Back