• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having trouble with setting up a wireless network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your options in the U.S. are channels 1, 6, 11. All others will cross talk and have problems. I suggest trying channel 11 and if that does not work try 6.

Your router should have Ethernet ports. On one of your devices turn off wireless and connect to a physical Ethernet port. How does the connection work? At this point lets not worry about your buildings router, just yours. For the time being lets assume the building is set up correctly and they are just serving you a DHCP address. BTW, what address is that?

You configured your router as a WAP, that's kind of wide open to interpretation. That just means wireless access point. Is it configured as a router or as a bridge?

You have three sections on your router that need configured:
1. Wan side, connects to your building's network. (What address is your building giving you)
2. LAN side, this is what your devices connect to. (You can't use the same subnet here as your building assuming you have your router configured as a router)
3. Wireless, you configure SSID, channels, and security here.

Last edited:
Your router should have Ethernet ports. On one of your devices turn off wireless and connect to a physical Ethernet port. How does the connection work? At this point lets not worry about your buildings router, just yours. For the time being lets assume the building is set up correctly and they are just serving you a DHCP address. BTW, what address is that?

This is a good suggestion to eliminate if your wireless router is having issues. It should just forward traffic like a switch if it's setup correctly, with no drops.

I would NOT reset the linksys they provided you, they may have a static IP set on the WAN port and resetting it will blow that away, rendering it useless until they reprogram it.

However, unplugging the router they provided and plugging your router directly into their network can't harm anything. Worth a try! If it doesn't work, you just plug theirs back in.

Your options in the U.S. are channels 1, 6, 11. All others will cross talk and have problems. I suggest trying channel 11 and if that does not work try 6.

You configured your router as a WAP, that's kind of wide open to interpretation. That just means wireless access point. Is it configured as a router or as a bridge?

You have three sections on your router that need configured:
1. Wan side, connects to your building's network. (What address is your building giving you)
2. LAN side, this is what your devices connect to. (You can't use the same subnet here as your building assuming you have your router configured as a router)
3. Wireless, you configure SSID, channels, and security here.

This is a good suggestion to eliminate if your wireless router is having issues. It should just forward traffic like a switch if it's setup correctly, with no drops.

I would NOT reset the linksys they provided you, they may have a static IP set on the WAN port and resetting it will blow that away, rendering it useless until they reprogram it.

However, unplugging the router they provided and plugging your router directly into their network can't harm anything. Worth a try! If it doesn't work, you just plug theirs back in.

Thanks guys.
I just tested 4 different connections. I did reset my router to start from scratch. So here goes...
1. Default settings as a wireless router (default router IP, DHCP enabled, building's wired router LAN port to my router's WAN port) Hardwired from ethernet port on my router to my computer(wireless turned off on my computer)
-->works for a couple of minutes and then websites start to time out
2. default router IP, DHCP disabled, building's wired router LAN port to my router's LAN port. Hardwired from ethernet port on my router to my computer(wireless turned off on my computer)
-->same thing as the first test
3. unplugged my router from the building's router; ran the ethernet cable connected to the wired router into my computer
-->I'm not even getting any sort of internet connection
4. ethernet cable from the wall socket which is connected to the building's wired router into my computer
-->sames thing as tests #1 and #2

The weird thing is, even after eliminating my router from the mix, when I have my computer connected directly to the wired router/network as in tests #3 and #4, I still get the SSID of the wireless router. This happened when I first moved in around 2.5 years ago. It was originally another SSID(the wired router's).

The IP I get assigned is 172.16.2.49 in all tests.
I'm not sure if I have it running as a router or bridge. (My router doesn't have an option for bridge mode but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking)
I definitely won't reset the building router. I'm sorry I forgot to mention this earlier but its a D-Link (EBR-2310 to be exact). Funny how both the building's router and mine are both D-Link routers.

Okay the SSID if you reset the router will be default of whatever the router is set to. You should not see your SSID if your router is turned off. If you are somebody else is using the same SSID and you may very well be connecting to their router rather than yours. You can set the SSID to something you like. Don't use a personal name that identifies you. Pick something generic like a car name.

As far as your building goes you may need to wait five to twenty minutes between physical connections for the mac address table to timeout. If it does take this your building has some old equipment.

If your hard wire to your buildings router (connection) is having issues stop here. You won't get your router working until this issue is resolved.

Okay the SSID if you reset the router will be default of whatever the router is set to. You should not see your SSID if your router is turned off. If you are somebody else is using the same SSID and you may very well be connecting to their router rather than yours. You can set the SSID to something you like. Don't use a personal name that identifies you. Pick something generic like a car name.

As far as your building goes you may need to wait five to twenty minutes between physical connections for the mac address table to timeout. If it does take this your building has some old equipment.

If your hard wire to your buildings router (connection) is having issues stop here. You won't get your router working until this issue is resolved.

I'm currently working to resolve the building router issue with their tech support. Obviously like you said, my router won't work unless I have some kind of connection coming in from the building router.
The SSID issue is secondary but I thought it was worth mentioning. I know for a fact that there aren't any duplicate SSIDs around me. I just found it odd that my router's SSID was showing up even though my own router was off and taken out of play. It might just be that one wall socket that I use. It was the same one I used to initially set up my wireless network. Hoping its not a biggie.
As far as the mac address table goes, the building is about 3 years old and the equipment shouldn't be too old. Maybe I'll do the tests once I get the building router issue resolved and wait 10-15 minutes between each test.

Last edited:
Well the SSID is broadcast by the router's radio so if the router is powered off you should not see it.

Back