• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 2900XT Sapphire from ZZF (As well)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Audioaficionado said:
I'm also liking the capless VRM design a lot better. If they get that 65nm chip out with 1GB of memory, that would be something to really see. Better drivers for Linux would seal the deal for me.

They are not cap less. PWM power supplies still use caps...just not the high capacity electrolytic's in the final
filter section. It is just another way to skin the power supply cat that reduces the BOM cost.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
They are not cap less. PWM power supplies still use caps...just not the high capacity electrolytic's in the final
filter section. It is just another way to skin the power supply cat that reduces the BOM cost.

Viper
They are solid rather than electrolytic fluid filled?

I thought they were digital like some of the newer motherboard designs.

Viper John, is that TechPowerUp review fairly accurate?

Last edited:
dudleycpa said:

I saw this too. But something weird. If you go to the search on Newegg and see the HIS 2900XT, it is 429.99. But, click on it and check the detailed specs of the card and/or add it to your cart and it's still 409.99. Plus you get a pretty good mouse with it. Just thought I'd point that out just in case that $20 is a deal breaker for anyone.

Link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161091

Burninate said:
I saw this too. But something weird. If you go to the search on Newegg and see the HIS 2900XT, it is 429.99. But, click on it and check the detailed specs of the card and/or add it to your cart and it's still 409.99. Plus you get a pretty good mouse with it. Just thought I'd point that out just in case that $20 is a deal breaker for anyone.

Link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161091

Thanks Burninate - I missed that!

Audioaficionado said:
They are solid rather than electrolytic fluid filled?

I thought they were digital like some of the newer motherboard designs.

Viper John, is that TechPowerUp review fairly accurate?

Electrolytic's, including the can type, haven't been fluid filled for 50 years...at least not in the sense that most
people think of a fluid anyway. They are "dry type" and the electrolyte is almost a dry powder.

The Vcore and Vddq regulators are digital. The confusion come from the erroneous term VRM that gets tossed
around all the time. Most people point to the series inductor modules (like the Pulse's) and call those VRM's
but nothing is further from the truth. They are nothing more than a coils of wire around a core (one for each
phase) packed into a common housing that simplify PCB design and lower individual parts count.

The PS consist of the regulator chip (digital in this case) which is the brains with all the operational voltage/
current/fault monitoring inputs and the user programmable I/O interfaces (be they hardware/firmware or
software). It provide the gate drive signals (ma levels) to the mosfets, which actually conduct the current
drawn from the PS. The regulator constantly changes mosfet gate drive to control where the mosfets phase
on/back/off and/or the frequency of how often the mosfets do that in response to the changing load
(current drawn) on the power supply to maintain the target output voltage.

The series inductors, one in series with the output of each mosfet phase, primarily provide damping of the
instantaneous peak current spikes at mosfet phase on. They are completely passive and dumb but they
can produce a lot of heat (as much or more than the mosfets) from the large current flows though
them. In a non PWM (and even in some PWM designs) the final filter electrolytics are downstream of the
phase series inductors after they are tied together to create the common B+ voltage output bus of the PS.

Viper

Whew its warm here i really hope it cools off for Wednesday lol, otherwise dang that card will be running at full fan speed for a few days hehe.

Its 29C in here and my CPU is idling at 45C. Usually its 22-24C and idles around 33-35C. Must be the humidity as well.

deathman20 said:
Whew its warm here i really hope it cools off for Wednesday lol, otherwise dang that card will be running at full fan speed for a few days hehe.

Its 29C in here and my CPU is idling at 45C. Usually its 22-24C and idles around 33-35C. Must be the humidity as well.

Damn where the heck do you live the Gobe desert lol.

As soon as you start 3D'in your 2900's fan will find max, or close to max speed, pretty fast lol.

I just hope we all (well gotta be honest...especially me!) get good OC cards lol!!!

Viper

BTW while you guys are waiting for your cards have you D/L'ed the lastest drivers from ATI???

The 8.370.4's are up. They "ain't" the 8.380's but are better than the 8.360's you will get on the install CD.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
BTW while you guys are waiting for your cards have you D/L'ed the lastest drivers from ATI???

The 8.370.4's are up. They "ain't" the 8.380's but are better than the 8.360's you will get on the install CD.

Viper

Just downloaded them so that I am ready.

vixro said:
Just downloaded them so that I am ready.

I just found the 8.380's at Asus Germany but the 2900 ID strings are not in the INF file. Will edit the file after I have the card to see if they will fly.

Viper

No I haven't downloaded any drivers. Haven't found any actually :( Got any links to help a man out? :)

Na live in Wisconsin as well we just got a really hot day, and if not mistaken we broke a record set back in 1991. Its 83F in my office currently. Oh man can't wait til I move and im in the basement for my office, nice and cool hopefully.

deathman20 said:
No I haven't downloaded any drivers. Haven't found any actually :( Got any links to help a man out? :)

Na live in Wisconsin as well we just got a really hot day, and if not mistaken we broke a record set back in 1991. Its 83F in my office currently. Oh man can't wait til I move and im in the basement for my office, nice and cool hopefully.

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Viper

what made you guys pick the ATI 2900 over nvidia's 8800s? i've stuck with AMD CPUs and Nvidia GPUs since my friend that introduced me to custom computers a few years ago was partial to them, his preferences (and prejudices) became mine somewhat.

Jmonty said:
what made you guys pick the ATI 2900 over nvidia's 8800s? i've stuck with AMD CPUs and Nvidia GPUs since my friend that introduced me to custom computers a few years ago was partial to them, his preferences (and prejudices) became mine somewhat.

I've prefered ATI cards for years thats why I picked it. But also wanted something new, without paying GTX prices, yet should be after a few drivers more powerful then a GTS.

MAn they sold out at ZZF quickly! I had it in the cart at Newegg but darn 30 bucks in just tax.... I really need to wait until Friday or this will drain my bank account lol.

RangerXLT8 said:
MAn they sold out at ZZF quickly! I had it in the cart at Newegg but darn 30 bucks in just tax.... I really need to wait until Friday or this will drain my bank account lol.

Welcome to TaxYourAssToDeathFornia. It's one of the few places where you get to pay sales tax on excise taxes lol.

You would have to pay CA asales tax from ZZF just like the Egg.

Viper

Back