• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD Audio = No Boot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
I'm working on a computer with some older components, (PC Chips A11G motherboard) just got it all put together, and I originally had connected the AC97 connector to the motherboard, and in the BIOS I saw the option to switch from AC97 to HD Audio, it was set to "auto" by default and would boot when connected to the AC97 plug. After I saw it could support HD Audio, I swiched the connection over to the HD Audio plug, and I pushed the power button, and nothing happened at all. No lights. No fans. No nothing. Switched back to the AC97 and it works fine.

What in the world would cause it not to boot at all? Is something shorted? Would it be a problem with the audio ports on the case or is it something with the motherboard itself? :confused:

After a journey to Chips website...

I found this about the audio chip on that mobo. The ALC655 is a 16-bit, full-duplex AC'97 Rev. 2.3 compatible six-channel audio CODEC designed for PC multimedia systems, including host/soft audio and AMR/CNR-based designs.

That leads me to a couple of thoughts, maybe more.

1. The bios is plainly in error as HD Audio is not supported.

2. There needs to an add-in card in the board to let HD Audio work. If card not there...I have no guess as to the outcome.

3. You have hooked the sound outputs to the front case outlets and the case is only AC97 compatible and the outputs for HD Audio are diferent and can create a short. That 'might' result in a no boot.

4. Since the board is so old and I have been into overclocking for so many years, the PCChips boards have never crossed my radar of boards. I simply went to PCChips website for a little logical sluething. My expertise with that sort of board falls to zero in my mind.

5. I likely would set to AC97 and on with my computing with the age of that system. YMMV. Good luck man.

I had never even heard of them. I bought it used from someone in the classifieds. I know it isn't high-grade, but it's replacing an old Dell board, so it can't be but so bad by comparison. :rofl:

I don't know why it has HD Audio in the BIOS settings if it doesn't support it, but it's definitely there. The case it's going into isn't old, however, it's a brand new Corsair 600T, so it should definitely support HD Audio, but I was worried if there was something wrong with that because if so, I need to get it fixed or replaced under warranty. If it is in fact the board's incompatibility, I won't worry with it and just use AC97, it won't matter anyway, so long as everything works.

That case has different connectors for AC97 and HD, if you didn't change the connector to the HD one that could well be the reason for the "no post" condition, a short as RGone suggested.

That case has different connectors for AC97 and HD, if you didn't change the connector to the HD one that could well be the reason for the "no post" condition, a short as RGone suggested.

When I attach the HD Audio connector, it doesn't boot. With the AC97 connector, it works. Doesn't matter what the BIOS is set to.

Back