• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hd space

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AltecXP

my comp has room for an internal zip drive, but mines external, can i put a 3rd hd in there?

Space wise you can put a hard drive about anywhere you can fit it and it should run fine. I have had um upside down, sideways and duct taped. Nowadays there are heat issues to consider, so duct tape is out and you should consider placement, but you should be fine with using the zip bay and getting it in there. Things to be concerned with is if you in fact have a free plug in from your power supply and a free plug in on the cable that goes from your motherboard to your existing drive(IDE cable), and if they reach. You might run into problems with the setting of jumpers for a newly added device to your IDE cable. There is a cable position jumper setting procedure. Also you will want to format and partition the new drive from within your current OS.

i have power cable bit i dont have the ide cable i need an expansion card or something, its already formated, and my comp in general runs cool, ots got 2 fas and placed right becide a cooling airduct w/ a fan pointed at it lol

I dont understand your setup, or question. If you have a standard motherboard(MB) then usually you will have two connectors for IDE cables. One IDE cable for each connector two IDE devices each cable. If you have only two devices hooked up, say a hard drive and a CDR then you could be set up with both on one connector/IDE cable and jumped as master/slave. This setup would leave one MB connector free. So you would just need a IDE cable.
With the same hardware you could also be set up with one IDE cable to each MB setup with each device jumped as stand alone/master. In that case you would just add your other drive to an open plug on one of the cables and rejumper both the drives on that cable, if needed.

If you have a standard 2 IDE connector MB, and you have 4 devices already connected, then yes you would need an IDE controller card to add another IDE device.

That new drive may be formatted, however your present drive contains the boot info and will boot. Accordingly your newly added drive may also has boot info -but will not boot. That existence of a second set of boot information on a non booting drive may cause that drives parton to become unreadable to your booted OS.
Sounds like all you need is an IDE cable? But I'm not sure, have you looked into your computer?

i have 2 hd's 2 cd-roms and a floppy and a bay open for an optional zip drive i want to install a 3rd hd which is completely blank and formated w/ ntfs

well sounds like you know what your doing, do you understand the deal between NTFS and FAT. Your most likely going to need an PCI IDE controller with that setup, unless you want to loose one of the CDR drives.

Back