• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD7770 Crossfire BSODing in games, loss of audio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesman32

Here's the issue (I think). I've been using the system in my signature for about a month now, minus the 3570k, which I installed 5 days ago. I'm having strange issues with system stability all around.

Issue #1 - Video
I'm using two HD7770s in Crossfire with CCC 12.4, and every time I open a game in Steam and then try to set the proper resolution, and sometimes even when the game is just starting up (this is just after game installation, without any previous in-game graphic setup) the monitor will turn black, audio will stutter, and eventually the PC will turn off. I have had ONE singular instance where I've been able to get passed the loading screen and actually start a game. This issue happens with every game I've tried, not just one. I'm wondering if I should try older driver versions? Both of the GPUs show up in Device manager and CCC, and seem to be working fine.

Issue #2 - Audio
In addition to the two GPUs, I also have an ASUS Xonar DX sound card, with the latest drivers installed. For whatever reason, it does not play nice with CCC 12.4. I have my 1st GPU connected to my monitor via HDMI, and so CCC tries to output audio to my monitor through HDMI. I've tried uninstalling the AMD HDMI audio driver, and it seems to work sorta, but once in a while audio just doesn't work at all, or it switches from my speakers (connected to the DX) and then starts playing through the monitor. I did not have this issue with CCC 12.2. Even when I try to disable HDMI audio and set the DX Speakers as default, CCC manages to switch it back to HDMI.

Ultimately, I'm wondering, should I try reverting to CCC 12.2? I can't find a download for it. AMD only lists the most recent drivers.

Thanks in advance.

You have the latest "CAP" right?

Not sure that I know what CAP is? :-/

Did you install the Audio for the cards? Disable that or uninstall it.

Yes, disabled and uninstalled. Seems to have gone away for the most part.

I found a version of CCC 12.2 buried in AMD's website. Downloaded and installed that. I can now enter games and actually play them, but it seems another issue has come up. During a game, if I quickly press the Windows key to look at CCC Overdrive, the second GPU appears to be in power saver mode. It's at 0% power consumption, 0*C, 0% load. Are there any programs to stimulate the GPU and make it start performing, to make sure it actually works? CCC says CFX is enabled.

A load worthwhile should kick it in the arse. Problem is, with Cat 12.2 the 7700 wasnt around yet I dont believe so not sure its supported in the first place. Not 100% on that though.

A load worthwhile should kick it in the arse. Problem is, with Cat 12.2 the 7700 wasnt around yet I dont believe so not sure its supported in the first place. Not 100% on that though.

I'll try going back to 12.4. I did some Google searching and found GPU-Z has a stress test program, which I tried for a few minutes. 2nd card seems to be working fine, but it goes back to power saving mode as soon as the program stops. It's pretty funny to watch. I think that must have been what I was seeing while in games.

Thanks for the help!

Back