• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD7970 Release Date & Pricing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think the stuff on this site is the probably most accurate specs so far.
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph...-und-dazugehoeriger-kuehlung-aufgetaucht.html

Clearly visible, the ROPs might not be increased at all, so the pixel fillrate increase is close to none. However more TMUs, so the texel fillrate might increase a good margin. Not truly surprised because Radeon always was pretty strong at texel. Cant say how that will affect real game performance but usualy texels seems to be mainly texture related (kind of upper layer). So it will rather be weak at performance settings, but with many shaders and what else which is known as "quality settings**", the GPU might not drop that fast and keep a stable FPS, which was aswell noticed by many users at the current generation already. When Geforce GPUs are at 30 FPS they kinda feel less smooth some users say and that is probably texel related. Although, low pixel performance means that the performance settings (only focused on high FPS/resolution) may suffer a bit. All in all, its recommended for users who want it all, and no less. **Examples where texel is very powerful is HDR "High Dynamic Render" texture. Pixel is more focused on raw resolution and FPS power.

More infos (english :D) is located here especially about PRT "Partially Resident Textures" which seems to be a new and/or increased feature especially for the 7000 series. It especially states what has been clear by the possible texel performance already, its outstanding texture power. PRT will have hardware based support, to increase performance from huge textures.
http://pixelsmashers.com/?p=10341

Considering AMDs mentality, they usualy expressed that a GPU is for rendering and not for physics, while Nvidia is truly boasting its physics capability. Personally i think that the strong multicore CPUs nowadays should easely handle the physics (by using Havoc) and a GPU can still entirely focus on high quality rendering (which is very demanding), but im not truly a expert on such matters. Finally we can expect Radeon GPUs to be outstanding render devices but not that much of a physics-support tool.

I keep at my old opinion, overall 20% above 580 GTX seems realistic when i look at those specs, ofc it can vary a lot dependable on game. Geforce tuned games might just marginally run better than on a 580 GTX but many Radeon tuned games can gain a lot of additional performance vs. a 580 GTX.

Last edited:
^ yup, unless benchmarking is a priority, current games are optimized for performance on 5 year old hardware, kinda suck but its reality...

Well, above 580 GTX surely sounds most reasonable if we take out any speculations and what else, and finally its all we was looking for.

Hope it truly will be revealed tomorrow, surely interested.

@thobel: Dont think you truly need so much GPU force for, but good luck with. Ofc i know the feeling, it makes me sleep well when i never need to care about "to weak" anymore, just put it in and it goes sane. :)

As for games, i remember 5 years back, i truly had to care about game settings and always had to "tweak" around at the cost of picture quality. Nowadays, i stick the game inside, and the first thing i do is to move any graphic slider to the max, and then im gonna play and... ah smooth stuff, i simply can afford to eat crackers. I truly feel very satisfied. Once you got that feeling, its hard to get ride of that demand anymore.

yeah i know I do crazy stuff for giggles at times like sli 550ti's for a HTPC just in case i wanted to play a game :)

Hmm, So Overclockers truly made a review already, cool. Seems like those recently gathered specs was true, so nothing to change to my previous entry. But what i would like to add is that its clearly visible that on DX9 and DX10 the GPU is performing barely better than 580 GTX, however, at DX11 the 7970 is at almost any case a good margin above the 580 GTX and i would say my expectations are fine with. Considering that only DX11 truly need that much power and the 7000 series is perfectly tuned for, it is surely a well performing and useful card.

And finally.. yes, GTX 580 is beaten... so the Radeon truly was able to raise AMDs name out from the ashes, and it surely will stay a while with the.. simply fastest single GPU on the market.

Just gotta hope for the best with drivers....The card can have amazing performance in benchmarks but if 90% of users have issues like Skyrim and BF3 at launch with future games as well, whats the point...This almost made me switch sides on my next build :bang head

I didn't have issues at all with BF3 in single-monitor or eyefinity.Granted, I didn't play it all that long other than to test, but it seemed pretty solid. That's with what amounts to a beta driver too.

The majority of my issues with BF3 were related to really bad crossfire scaling and stability. Weird graphical glitches primarily and the occasional crash to desktop. They have since been sorted out. BF3 was much quicker to be fixed than Skyrim was. Either way, it was hit or miss for a lot of people. My friend runs a single 6870 and he had zero issues with either, yet Skyrim was unplayable with crossfire for me, and same with BF3. I couldn't use my second card until a couple weeks after release dates on both.

Well Skyrim is finally a dev issue. AMD surely can improve the drivers but it doesnt look like the devs truly had much interest into its Radeon fine tuning.

Which is weird tbh. because on XBox360, which is the lead plattform for Skyrim (60% of all Skyrim copys sold are Xbox360 versions), there is a Radeon GPU inside. However, the Xbox360 will be handled with individual tuning which apparently cant cause any effect for PC systems, since they got a different chip design which is more advanced.

Its entirely a software problem, having good stuff, it will easely dismantle Geforce. But we cant play with "if" and "when", thats simply the truth. Anyway, its just one of many games and Skyrim still can be played with satisfying FPS on a 7000 series, but it surely is tuned very badly. That however, will leave many room for much improvements, i hope we get them. The biggest culprit is in most cases still the humans programming and nothing else, no matter how much of insane power a hardware could deliver, it does need juicy software...! Generaly as more powerful the hardware gets as lazyer are the devs with programing and therefore destroying a lot of efficiency just because they could save up bucks and time by just delivering a rather badly tuned software. If a user moan "its not running how it should", answer "but its still running and we had 1 million $ lesser expenses" (ok, the expenses part is censored).

Last edited:
This is SO TEMPTING!!! I just bought 2 6970s to run eyefinity, but 2 7970s would dominate pretty much anything in eyefinity, considering selling my cards and buying a few of these instead....decisions, decisions.

At DX9 the difference is... well you wont consider Seppuku by noticing it. But at DX11 games and when you use super duper settings, then the 7000 series, dependable on game, can deliver easely 50% more performance vs. a superclocked 6970. And even vs. a 580 GTX its 20% in overall. It seems that the tesselation power truly did increase by 200% or even more and its very noticeable. Generally, as more stupid and absolutly geek-like options and settings are used, as more the 7000 series will shine. Because of its pretty advanced architecture which can handle the most impossible better than the possible stuff... its fun but the tests are speaking a clear language. So thats the facts, the rest have to decide yourself.

Example where the 7000 series will totaly pwn a 580 GTX is at CIV5, when used at max DX11 setting, the 580 GTX will bite the dust by a difference of more than 50%, but thats a rare exception. It truly depends on how good its tuned for Radeon (CIV is tuned very well for Radeon) and aswell at which settings.

Last edited:
I literally got my 6970 in the mail 3 days ago. The saving grace for me is the price for the 7970. At $500+ when I paid $299 for the 6970, the 50% performance gain is in-line with the price differential. At least I don't feel ripped off by the 6970. I think I'll save and get a second one for CF and call it a day for a couple of years. I only play at 1900x1200, so I should be pretty good to go.

Nah its definitely still a good deal to get a 6000 series. Especially for DX9 gamers its still a good option. 7000 series is mainly recommended for DX11 gamers and/or gamers who always play at extreme settings and probably several monitors with very high resolution. Some of them can finally pass on getting CF because now there is the option to feel satisfied by only a single GPU, which was previously rarely the case. And if they need more power someday, they can still upgrade at lower cost to a CF.

But its aswell recommended in order to get a higher efficiency in term someone want to build a SFF system, then every TDP truly counts and a 7000 series simply is more effective.

So it surely depends on the individual situation, there is no standart answer.

I agree with Ivy 100%, the gains of this new card aren't seen unless playing insane resolutions or high AA/AF settings, which is partially a gain due to the fact that there is some extra vRAM, however since I will be running eyefinity at such a high resolution, and wanting to max everything out two of these will be a slam dunk.

Back