• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Change in Asus W3V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioTuned

I have an Asus W3V and i want to change the HDD in it. I hate the fact this thing is 5400RPM. I want to change the hard drive in and replace it with HITACHI Travelstar 7K100. I know how to change the hard drive physically, but how can i move everything from the old hard drive to new hard drive. The old hard drive has all the back up files for re-installation of the windows, drivers, software, and etc. Is it possible to move the entire settings and file structure new hard drive? If so how is it possible? Thanks

I have the Asus z63a ( which is the W3A, but barebones ) - the W3's all use the same basic chassis, with some color differences.

If you flip the laptop over ( battery / hinge facing north ), the hard disk compartment is on the bottom left. The single screw next to the optical drive release switch holds the door on.

Remove that screw, and ( gently! ) pry the door off. it clips in pretty tight, so a pretty interesting amount of force is needed to remove it.

Once you get the door off, you'll see the ribbon cable for the IDE interface... its delicate so use your head :) the hard disk isnt screwed down, so you should be able to lift it out. Disconnect the cable, and reattach it to the new drive, then reverse this process :)

If you break something, most of the parts are available at estore.asus.com, they sell ALOT of parts for these things there, including the ribbon cable and the HDD Door.

PM me or post here some more if you have any more questions :)

~ Gos

The easy way is get an external drive enclosure, get a 2.5" adapter, then use a program like CasperXP to make an exact copy of your old drive onto the new one in the drive enclosure. Then swap drives and it will work just like the old one, only faster. You can use the old drive as a backup in the external drive enclosure where it won't matter its a bit slow.

CasperXP doesn't care if the drives are different sizes and it will copy the entire hard drive onto the new one.

There are some other free drive copy programs but I know CasperXP has worked prefectly every time for me.

Either that, or just backup up your work on a CD and then use your system back up CDs to install on the new drive and copy the new files from the backup CD.

Back