• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD clicks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thats what kind it is. Samsung. Witch used to be really good..

That seems to be the case with many vendors these days. Some years ago, I began using Western Digital 10K Raptors as soon as they came out, and they were really great drives. Eventually, WD came out with Velociraptor II, the next greatest thing, so I purchased some of them. Unfortunately, reliability with the new raptors was really bad. I ended up having to RMA just about every Velociraptor II, and often the replacement drives as well. Eventually, I ended up replacing all of my Velociraptor II drives with SSD. I don't know what's happened to Western Digital in recent years, but I've also seen similar patterns with other vendors too. The SSD's have been great. I stayed away from Western Digital this time. I have 4 OCZ SSD drives in my main computer and I've been very happy with them. I still have 6 Western Digital 3.5/7200 drives in my PC as well, but the 4 Velociraptors that the SSDs replaced are now a thing of the past.

OK.. i just switched out power cables on it.. and i don't really hear no more clicking.. Does that mean that might have been the issue?? And can i repair the bad sectors?? Or move them to a separate partition? or is still jacked up?

OK.. i just switched out power cables on it.. and i don't really hear no more clicking.. Does that mean that might have been the issue?? And can i repair the bad sectors?? Or move them to a separate partition? or is still jacked up?

From what you described in an earlier post about the errors, etc., I certainly would not use that drive. If it's still under warranty, you should RMA it and send it back.

I wish I could. Where it's a gateway OEM. They want cover it.. Witch is bull crap.. Not to much I can do.. It's still under warranty to.. ! I'm not the original owner o the gateway.

I wish I could. Where it's a gateway OEM. They want cover it.. Witch is bull crap.. Not to much I can do.. It's still under warranty to.. ! I'm not the original owner o the gateway.

I believe if the drive is still under warranty with Samsung, they certainly should accept an RMA and replace the drive for you, free of charge. At least it's worth a try. Why don't you simply go to Samsung's website, request the RMA online (using the drive serial number), and see what happens. That's what I would do.

It is worth a shot, but they will record what drives are in Gateway machines. I've seen screenshots where it says it is an OEM drive and refuses to put in a RMA.

there IS NO WHERE a way to contact them about this HDD!!!! Dont even have the dam option about HDD's! Witch is crap!!

is there any free ware like HD sentinel?

having a similar problem but the clicking seems to be the drive coming out of stand by mode but i am using the computer. mostly using the other drive but when i use this one. i have to wait and click its going. is odd. smart says nothing, thinks its in excellent health. it was in a USB enclosure

1-3 clicks at spinup after being idle for some time would be normal. I would say that being its a USB enclosure, its most likely a "Green" drive inside, which normally will spin down after anywhere from 30s to a minute of being idle.

1-3 clicks at spinup after being idle for some time would be normal. I would say that being its a USB enclosure, its most likely a "Green" drive inside, which normally will spin down after anywhere from 30s to a minute of being idle.

thats what i figure, i'm trying to get it to stop. its a 7200 RPM drive not one of the werido 5900 rpm drives but it takes some time for it to start up.

OK.. ive contacted, seagate and samsung and even HP.. NONE of them is willing to try and help.. Thats aload of crap!!! Thanks to all that helped!

Back