• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD not showing right capacity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psionic98

I was trying to format some spare drives i have and this one WD 250GB blue drive is only showing approximately 175GB of space.

The only thing I can think that happened recently to it was that I was running DBAN on it and the system lost power at some point.

What is really odd is that if I look at the preferences from within windows I see it has "used" space, which makes up the missing 75Gb, but I can't see that partition anywhere else.

Anyone got an idea of what to try to just blow the drive away and restore the full capacity? I have a linux mint10 dvd I could boot from if needbe.

Try start > run > diskmgmt.msc

Does it show up at all in there? The extra space? If it does; just delete the partition and extend the first one. If it doesn't... Well... Iunno lol

Try start > run > diskmgmt.msc

Does it show up at all in there? The extra space? If it does; just delete the partition and extend the first one. If it doesn't... Well... Iunno lol

Expanding past the "Well... Iunno" :D

If his suggestion of using the Windows Disk tool. Does not produce fruit. You can use that LiveDisc, and check it with GParted. The only advantage or help this route would give past the Disk Tool. Would be the disk would not be mounted. So you would have a little more leeway, to have your way with the drive.

If GParted is not on the image (it should be.) You can pull it from the Software Center.

If you want a dedicated partition lookie/fixie/messy-uppie disc.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
This would be easier in some cases. Since you can build it on a USB drive. Which would be more (responsive) than a spinning disc. Getting right to the task. Without the DUE (Desktop User Experience.)

I'll try the gparted tool.. windows disk management is only showing up the 175gb partition.. not sure where this missing 75gb partition is.. even if the partition table was deleted it shouldn't show under the properties should it?

Back