• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Preferences

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which HDD manufacturer(s) do you prefer? (Keep choices to a minimum!)?

• Hitachi

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Maxtor

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Seagate

Votes: 81 54.0%
  • Western Digital

Votes: 63 42.0%
  • Western Digital Raptor Line

Votes: 54 36.0%
  • Samsung

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other (Please list)

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I was looking through past polls and noticed there was never a poll that showed what HDDs everyone preferred. I know manufacturer preferences tend to change over time, so this poll will eventually become outdated, but I'd like to see what everyone's current preferences in hard drives are.

You will have the ability to choose more than one manufacturer, but try to keep it to as few as possible so that we can have some specific results. For example, if you have no preference between Seagate and WD, then check both off. However, if you prefer Seagate over WD, but still like WD, then just choose Seagate.

This is not a poll over which drives you have had or have now, although that experience should help dictate your votes. Also, this poll takes PATA/SATA into consideration (sorry SCSI guys!).

I've had a pair of 200Gb WD's for nearly 3 years now, used 36Gb raptors in the past, about to use new 150Gb raptors now. Never had a problem with them. I also have a pair of 320Gb caviars, still going strong.

Now that I think about it.. I haven't used that many HD's to make a good comparison, but I've never had a WD go out on me... Maxtor on the other hand..

I prefer Seagates, but have 2 WD's in my HTPC cause they were cheap. Other machines I just use whatever is around. Raptors are too expensive for the gain. Next drive will be a 7200.10 Seagate unless they come out with something better soon.

IAmMoen said:
i much prefer hitachi. I have two T7K500's in raid 0 and they are fa-ast! Beat out the new perps in single user performance so....

yea yuriman has two 80GB and they are 120MBPS. those are fast considering they are 2-3 years old.

As the poll says I prefer the WD raptor line but I'm running with WD HDDs since a long time ago and there has never been a problem.

I've been using Western Digital drives almost exclusively for the last 15 years or so, so I chose both regular WD and the WD Raptors. In that time I've had, roughly, 75 drives and only 2 have ever failed; and both were well out of warranty so I got plenty of use out of them. My third "bad" drive arrived DOA from Newegg and WD swapped it out, no questions asked. Other companies may make drives as good as WD, but I've had such good luck I'm not going to tempt fate and switch :)

Edit: In case anyone is curious, I just added them up and I've currently got 18 WD drives in use on my home network (in 5 computers). 8 are old 250GB drives in a RAID 5 array in my server, 5 are 400GB data drives, two are 74GB Raptors used as system drives, 2 are a 36GB Raptors used as system drives, and 1 is an 80GB regular drive in a dedicated folding machine.

MVC said:
I've been using Western Digital drives almost exclusively for the last 15 years or so, so I chose both regular WD and the WD Raptors. In that time I've had, roughly, 75 drives and only 2 have ever failed; and both were well out of warranty so I got plenty of use out of them. My third "bad" drive arrived DOA from Newegg and WD swapped it out, no questions asked. Other companies may make drives as good as WD, but I've had such good luck I'm not going to tempt fate and switch :)
yep, they change my WD2500?? with WD2500JS (2euros more expensive than the other) in no time. The fact is that it took me more than one month to have the new HDD because of the stupid greek company that sold me the disk as it was sitting inside one of their warehouses and they where trying to figure out how to make me withdraw from my rights to claim a new disk even if I deserved it. But the truth that makes me smile every night before sleep is that I was the one who destroyed that disk by placing on it's bottom a pentium 4 heatsink without any grease or paste. I did this just to win the coolest HDD bet with my stupid friends. I think I lost in the end...:bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

[rant]
I sometimes think polls like this would be more useful if we could vote AGAINST particular manufacturers based on personal experience--either bad hardware or bad support. I've had very good results with WD so I'll naturally vote for them but for the most part a poll voting for manufacturers is a popularity contest.

If, however, we could vote against those manufacturers that have produced bad hardware or who have provided bad support we could single out problems. And, I think, provide more useful information to people looking for information. For example, my votes for WD don't say anything about the other manufacturers. I've actually had good experiences with Hitachi, Samsung, and Seagate drives over the years. They aren't my "favorite", but I don't have anything bad to say either. On the other hand, I have had problems with Maxtor so I can single them out as a problem (for example, my current work machine is a year old Dell, and so far I've had two Maxtor drives fail, one three days after it was set up and the second (a new replacement drive) failed at 10 months). Since Seagate bought Maxtor the quality may improve, but the only manufacturer I'd warn anyone against buying right now is Maxtor. And that, I think, is more useful.
[/rant]

Seagate forever! :attn:

They were the first to have 5 Year Warrenties, and their perp drives are cheap, large, and fast.

I really really like the idea of an anti poll. Choose the ones you have had the most problems with. Uh Hunh Uh Hunh I LIKE it! (Bruce Almighty for those of you who didnt get that last one)

IAmMoen said:
I really really like the idea of an anti poll. Choose the ones you have had the most problems with. Uh Hunh Uh Hunh I LIKE it! (Bruce Almighty for those of you who didnt get that last one)

There is one, which is why I did this one (it had never been done).

Back