• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Preferences

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which HDD manufacturer(s) do you prefer? (Keep choices to a minimum!)?

• Hitachi

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Maxtor

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Seagate

Votes: 81 54.0%
  • Western Digital

Votes: 63 42.0%
  • Western Digital Raptor Line

Votes: 54 36.0%
  • Samsung

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other (Please list)

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
I've owned three different brands in my life, WD, Maxtor and Seagate. And I beleive that the quality is in that order. WD and Maxtor have had some serious failure problems in the past, but have never heard of any mainstream issues with Seagate although I could be wrong. I am interested some day to try out the Samsung and Hitachi products. My hold off on those is because they are not leaders in the HDD markets, I have never heard anything bad about them, but they are not exclusively harddrive makers, which makes me edgy, although it was Hitachi who figured out how to store data perpendicular... Anyway... That's my two sense.

I like Raptors for boot/OS/apps performance.

The new Segates with their perpendicular magnetic read/write technology.

Samsung for real quiet drives.

Seagate. Have an old refurbished 80gb barracuda, and Im surprised this thing still works. Its been knocked off tables, kicked, stepped on, and had coke spilled on it. and runs fine.

Ive been reemed by WD, Hitatchi, and Maxtor on multiple occasions. Even had Raptors give me the big shaft. Seagate always manages to stay true to the end.

Of coarse now I've just jinxed it.

For the most part I was always a WD guy, getting a wd raptor setup was just icing on the cake. If you put together all the makes of hard drives ive had, Maxtor had the most failures....so ive been sticking with WD mostly, i'm getting a bunch of seagate 7200.10 sata2 500gb and 320gb drives for my new file/webserver. Cant go wrong with those WD Raptors.

I've done a ton of systems at home, for the most part Western Digitals have been in the systems. They've been pretty good :)

I'd prefer raptors if i had a fat wallet and was bent on making it thinner... however just plain vanilla WDs have been my favorite for about the past 6 years now :)

~ Gos

I have several brands in my system, but Seagate dominates. Lately I've been adding Western Digital.

I clicked other to give a nod to IBM. I have an IBM drive I purchased several years ago that I've never had a problem with and is still going strong

Voted on Western Digital.

Western Digital has "never" (knock on wood) failed me. I try not to change from WD, unless its a great deal...WD suits me just fine.

amd64crazy07 said:
Voted on Western Digital.

Western Digital has "never" (knock on wood) failed me. I try not to change from WD, unless its a great deal...WD suits me just fine.

+1

I have 2 74 GIG Raptors and 2 WD 160 GIG SATA's in my rig.....going strong for 3 years..if and when they die, I'll buy WD again.

Hitachi and Samsung are my two favorites.

Hitachi has consistently made some of the fastest seeking 7200rpm drives, while Samsung makes the quietest.

I just get the cheapest hdd I can get, lately i've been getting some no name HDD that are or at least were for a long time cheaper then any brand name.

Lots of this seems to come down to reliability rather than performance aside from the Raptors of course. I'm not sure if anyone can tell the difference in small 5-10% hardrive benchmark performance difference as part of general usage though. All the Seagates I've ever used have been solid and the across the board 5-year warranty is reassuring, still have an ancient 8GB 7200RPM Seagate which was on an oc'd PCI bus that never skipped a beat, otherwise I voted for WD and Hitachi as well. *dang* just checked the prices on the TK7 line, they dropped a TON since I bought my last drives :eek:

Damn I just checked prices on the Hitachi

Western Digitals have slightly fallen out of my good graces, for a while the price/performance wasn't that good, and I had 2-3 older ones all go south. Seagate is a periniel favorite, I've owned several including a 7200.10 500gb and 15k.3 cheetah. Hitatchi makes great drives, including their KILLER 7200 2.5" drives (made my laptop run like a new machine). I also really like this Fujitsu 15,000 rpm I replaced my Cheetah with, its quieter, substantially faster, and its relatively reasonably priced, for a 15k SCSI drive anyways.

I'm lovin' my Seagate drives. I've had 6 Barracuda drives now and every one has been great. I also voted for WD's Raptor line as they are really in a league of their own and I would have a tough time trying to decide between a good 7200.10 drive or a 16MB cache Raptor.

Back