• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD/SSD Encryption / Mother Board Support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I am considering replacing my 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD with a 256 GB Samsung 840 SSD primarily because the 840 includes hardware based "Advanced AES 256-bit ATA full disk encryption". I use Truecrypt now but, for many reasons, would much prefer a hardware based solution.

After a little research I discovered this feature can only be enabled through the motherboard bios. Even though I have a ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 (less than one year old) with the latest bios, there is nowhere in the bios menus I can find to enable hardware based HDD/SSD encryption.

I would appreciate some more insight into this as I find it incredible that my motherboard, less than one year old, does not support hardware based encryption.

I also saw a reference in another forum stating hardware based HDD/SSD encryption is only available with X79 motherboards. Is this indeed so? The X79 motherboards appear to be incredibly/prohibitively expensive.

hafa: Thanks for the response. The P8P67 M-Pro has TPM support but the P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 (my mobo) does not.

Back