• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD's Burning up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shill82

I have two maxtor 7200RPMS both are running extremely hot. I've never really relised that HDD ran so hot but these suckers are burning! I belive they are contributing to most of my case temp if not all. What is the best way to cool these bad boys down?

i recommend putting an exhaust fan in the front of ur case right on top of them. i've done this with great success. my 2hdds used to run at 46C now their running at 29C max.

That is a great idea since heat rises. Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can do.

All these guys are right. I never sandwich my drives...there lies the way of HD deth!

I often mount them with adapters in the upper bays...I high...1 lo

that way they have room to "breath"

I also have considerable case overpressue so I installed a Front Bezel vent and turned the fans around...I would guess there is 20cfm flow around the HD and out the front and the HD is cool to the touch.

I have seen watercooling but that is a bit extreme for my tastes.

A top mounted HD fan is next to useless...the fans are puny (IMO) and it wont work if youre sandwiched (no room)

If ya got no way of adding a fan to blow over those hard drives... Then maybe a new case will have to do.

Check these babies out.. I got one of these in silver. Anyways.. head to the link and scroll down the page where they show pics of the insides... There you will see the Hard drive bays that have a fan mounted in front of each of the 2 bays. That way the cool air from the outside will blow right across... They use 80MM fans.

Heres the Link

Heres a pic of it if your lazy hehe
0396.jpg

www.newegg.com selll them as well... You can even buy a pre modified door with a window mod already done for you for around 20 bucks.

Ya...those look like modded Antec Server cases I seen before...they come with HDD fan setup...no fan but mounts for one...

nothing better than lots of air!! slap a nice 80mm fan right in front of them blowing out of the case.
this will not only keep the hdd cooler it will blow the heat out of the case.

Well, they make little coolers for your bay. And just put the hard-drive in your bay, or you could use a hardcano :O

Back