• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDMI Media Player Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgoodkat

My PS3 finally died and the Roku 3 appears to be the logical answer to a replacement for Netflix, Youtube streaming and USB media but I'm not liking some of what I am reading about the Roku Media Player app for USB playback. Cant resume, wont play the occasional Avi, etc.

An HTPC is overkill for my measly bachelor pad with my 40" TV but I was thinking about a Raspberry Pi2 with Windows 10 in mind so I can watch Netflix and Youtube through the browser and network it to my PC to not even need to transfer via USB. Although they are on backorder and Win10 obviously isnt out yet.

Any other ideas? Just trying to cover my bases before I drop $90 on a Roku.

I would have considered a PS4 if Sony hadn't wet the bed with their 'gaming first' logic. Although I don't play much console anymore, anyhow. No need for another PS3 kicking out heat in the summer.

I guess you can hack it for USB playback but it isn't native and it doesn't always work.

I just need a media box that will do everything that my PS3 did. Roku 3 is the closest but still wasn't made with USB playback in mind. PS4 would be the logical answer but Sony went from "it only does everything" to "it only does a few things."

Why not just have a network share from a computer that you can put the USB contents into?

What about something like this? I don't know if it would do everything, but it's got similar specs to an average tablet and it's running Android. May be worth a look?

Raspberry Pi is what I would choose in this situation. Infinitely more versatile than a Roku box. Much more expandable and capable.
For a media playback machine, the RB Pi is a great choice. Especially the new one.

There is also a more powerful similar computer called the Banana Pi.

Raspberry Pi is what I would choose in this situation. Infinitely more versatile than a Roku box. Much more expandable and capable.
For a media playback machine, the RB Pi is a great choice. Especially the new one.

There is also a more powerful similar computer called the Banana Pi.

was just about to say raspberry pi, they just released ver. 2.0 with a quad core processor as well.. load up XMBC G2g.

The Pi2 was absolutely my first choice but I just cannot find it in stock anywhere. The waits are approaching a month. And then once I priced the thing out it isn't much cheaper than a Roku 3 when I factor in a case, a decent sized memory card, micro power cord, etc.

Amazon has the Roku 3 for $85 new so Im going to try that and possibly dump it off when Win10 drops for Pi2 and when there is solid stock. Need something right now and going Pi1 or the Banana doesn't make sense after Pi2. That thing is a legit internet PC and a perfect media center.

As far as I understand it, you still have to jump through hoops to stream Netflix, etc on the Pi due to Microsoft's Silverlight so Win10 will solve that.

Last edited:
The Pi2 was absolutely my first choice but I just cannot find it in stock anywhere. The waits are approaching a month. And then once I priced the thing out it isn't much cheaper than a Roku 3 when I factor in a case, a decent sized memory card, micro power cord, etc.

Amazon has the Roku 3 for $85 new so Im going to try that and possibly dump it off when Win10 drops for Pi2 and when there is solid stock. Need something right now and going Pi1 or the Banana doesn't make sense after Pi2. That thing is a legit internet PC and a perfect media center.

As far as I understand it, you still have to jump through hoops to stream Netflix, etc on the Pi due to Microsoft's Silverlight so Win10 will solve that.

Personally I would not buy the Roku just to later replace it with the pi. The pi is so much more capable and robust and expandable and versatile. Sure, all in, it's not any cheaper, but you get so much more!

I would if I could get the Pi2 right now. I will just give the Roku to my mother to replace her Roku 1 or sell it on ebay for $70 to cover the Pi.

Back