• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heat sink for silent operation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hansolo

Registered
I am currenlty looking to buy heatsink and fan for a silent operation .
I have looked around but there reviews are so mixed . I use 3d s max and photoshopso nothing to heavy as dont play the latest games.
My current heat sink just makes constant racket it by the company spire

my specs are for intel 775
cpu intel quad 6600
tdp 95 watt 105 watts max ( i wont be overclocking)

go with a coolermaster 240 all in one water cooler, i have mine on an a6 6400k @4.9and the fans just idle.

Even a 212 evo with a different fan would be fine... And 1/3 the cost of an AIO.

+1 here.
AIOs can get kinda loud too

If you want to spend a few more bucks for complete silence look into an NH-D14.
Just make sure it'll fit in your case :thup:

Well silent and quiet are 2 different things.

Silent you look into "passive cooling" that would be a fan-less heat sink design.

If you put a fan on it, that makes it an "active cooling" heat sink.

Number of fins and the pitch of those fins will determine a few things such as air flow and noise.

Just gotta look around for the right fan opposed to the right heat sink. :salute:

I am looking for a silent oepration as much as possible - i understand on heavy loads the fans will kick in. i will pay Like i said i dont realy push my cpu to the limits as just 3ds max and photoshop and some tv ... already started looking at reviews .... will see how the end result is as started to get mixed oppionions at the moment

Im sure this will get a good conclusion to the kind of set up i need

Last edited by a moderator:

whats good air flow and whats bad air flow. As i see sometimesthe rating in decibels is 19 db and the manafacture says this is a quite operation .I tried cheap 80 mm fan from maplin which was 22 decibels it made a loud buzzing sound . It not the best fan

Get a fan controller so as to be able to run the fan at very low speeds or at full tilt. Choose a fan that is only makes a little noise to begin with but can be throttled down to silent without stalling.

airflow simply mean the air is "flowing" inside your case.
no heat pocket and no "stalled" air within.

you want to bring the cold air from you room to the inside of your case so it would cool down components.
and then exhausting the warm /hot air (used by your components) out of your case.

yes, a fan controller is a mandatory thing if you want to go silent

I need something quick from maplins at the minute as the buzzing noise is realy loud . Is there a reasonable one at maplins for the 775 series . once ive installed that i can llook at buyig a better one order . I need to remove the buzzing noise temporrary for at least couple weeks to hold me so i can make the right choice for better model soon .I cant concentrate or be on my pc for more than couple minutes as the noise is loud buzz

There's only ~4 heatsinks (air, not water) on Maplin.
The 212 EVO was recommended here, and it is one of those four.

Make sure the one from Maplin comes with the 775 mounting bracket.

ok that what i willdo i will buy the coole masster12 evo today as need something today . swop the blades as ur mentioned .

I did have just tried odering from maplin and the super cooler 212 evo no longer support the 775 brackett. I was close to having a little bit quite. I need to order a different model from maplin..... it was close

EDIT: Great catch Atmin.

What about just updating the fan on the stock cooler. Your not overclocking so the stock cooler is more that adequate. The problem I see is Maplin has a terrible selction. You could zip tie a 92mm fan on there but Maplin doesn't carry that size. Are there any other vendors there for you? Maybe Amazon?

Uk correct rn . Maplin does have terrrible selection . i will try pc world see how they fair
special tech ive not seen or heard of them but see if there is branch near and check those other shops out too. I see if they in city near me

I tried to update the fans as was one of my options . I tried to put some 3 in one oil in theparts. It didnt change much . I would like to take the fan off and replace it but the screws are smaller than the ones in maplin . I wasnt sure were to get a replacemnet fan posta a pic of fan and the screws

Last edited by a moderator:
Back