• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heating Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
plus one to new paste and you said had fans on the computer. how are they? are stock that came with a case? what case do you have. i know some stock case fans move almost no air making them whisper quiet but completely useless. hope that helps.

Sounds like you keep it really warm in the room you have your pc in LOL.Try to get more fans and get some good air flow going.Ya need good air flow it helps out alot.

ok well start over, first get some thermal paste. then remove the motherboard, remove the hs, clean both CPU IHS and the base of the HS. then apply thermal paste to the cpu ihs, then replace the HS and make sure the pins are going all the way thru and they are locked. even though you say they are in all the way, with the board mounted in the case there is the possiblity they are not. thus we need to rule that out.

plus one to new paste and you said had fans on the computer. how are they? are stock that came with a case? what case do you have. i know some stock case fans move almost no air making them whisper quiet but completely useless. hope that helps.

One is stock, the other is Apevia. Both 80mm. They are moving air.

Sounds like you keep it really warm in the room you have your pc in LOL.Try to get more fans and get some good air flow going.Ya need good air flow it helps out alot.

It's like 30F outside. at least 6 inches of clearance on the sides of the case.

ok well start over, first get some thermal paste. then remove the motherboard, remove the hs, clean both CPU IHS and the base of the HS. then apply thermal paste to the cpu ihs, then replace the HS and make sure the pins are going all the way thru and they are locked. even though you say they are in all the way, with the board mounted in the case there is the possiblity they are not. thus we need to rule that out.

I'll open up the other side of the case and see if it is firmly in place.

Also, my GPU is idling at 72C right now. My CPU is at 55C. Minimum detected was 41C when there was no activity at all.

ok but for now forget the GPU temp.... cause that is not causing the issue the cpu overheating is... worst case on gpu cooling 80-90c is kinda worry some(to us) but not really according to NV.

I'll get some Arctic Silver then.

Good idea. That will lower your temps substantially during idle and under load. As said before, make sure the hs is mounted properly. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

On a side note,
If you are worried about GPU temps (even though they aren't a problem at all and aren't causing the instability) you can also remove the GPU HS, clean the stock thermal paste off with alcohol (I try to use 99% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)...the higher the percentage the better) and remount it with arctic silver. I recently did that because my GPU was running quite hot. Maxing at 120+ and crashing :(:( and now it idles at 47 and hits a max of 70 or so.

probably not your problem but i had a friend who owned a case that had its major air inlets along the bottom edge of the sides of the case and he had it sitting on carpet effectively blocking all fresh air coming in. he was running all stock and ended up calling microsoft to figure out that the bsod error code was from procesor overheating. we set the computer on a 2x10 on the carpet and problem solved.

like i said, probably not whats going on with you but running out of options. arctic silver 5 is great stuff but it isnt going to drop your idle temps 30 degrees so something else is going on.

probably not your problem but i had a friend who owned a case that had its major air inlets along the bottom edge of the sides of the case and he had it sitting on carpet effectively blocking all fresh air coming in. he was running all stock and ended up calling microsoft to figure out that the bsod error code was from procesor overheating. we set the computer on a 2x10 on the carpet and problem solved.

like i said, probably not whats going on with you but running out of options. arctic silver 5 is great stuff but it isnt going to drop your idle temps 30 degrees so something else is going on.

Not getting BSODs and it's not on the carpet.

One is stock, the other is Apevia. Both 80mm. They are moving air.

It's like 30F outside. at least 6 inches of clearance on the sides of the case.

I'll open up the other side of the case and see if it is firmly in place.

Also, my GPU is idling at 72C right now. My CPU is at 55C. Minimum detected was 41C when there was no activity at all.

(2) 80mm fans will not move a lot of air. Take the side of the case off, and point a house fan at it. If your temps reduce significantly then you know you need to work on your case air flow.

Is your case outside? Why does it matter what the temp is outside? What is your thermostat set at? Some people like to run their thermostat at 80*F in the winter time. Are you one of those people?

Hey guys...my friends C2D is heating up like hell....when he runs speed fan there is a CPU temp and then there are the 2 core temps and for some reason the core temps are 20 degrees more than than the CPU temps....now shud he be worried abt the core temps or the CPU temps....i read somewhere that the CPU temp is actually of a diode on the motherboard rather than on the processor so the Core temps are the real deal!!! is that correct?

Last edited:
(2) 80mm fans will not move a lot of air. Take the side of the case off, and point a house fan at it. If your temps reduce significantly then you know you need to work on your case air flow.

Is your case outside? Why does it matter what the temp is outside? What is your thermostat set at? Some people like to run their thermostat at 80*F in the winter time. Are you one of those people?

Haha. Good point.

The temp was same with fan pointed in the case.

The temp inside is 63F.

Okay. Got thermal grease. Applied it. CPU is now idling at around 42 C.

Didn't shut down while playing Far Cry 2 for a few minutes. Didn't shut down while doing a stress test for 3 minutes

hmonitor has core 1 @ 102 C
core 2 @ 98 C

Mainboard @ 94 C

CPU @ 43 C

Wow. I think something might be wrong with the sensors. The core 1 temp just flashed from 102 to -25 C for a second.

i dont think that is even the real temp... run orthos, after about 30mins of running it, open up coretemp then ss please. im thinking that 70c is on the way down since the cores are not fully loaded.

Back