• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HeatKiller Rev.3 stripped screws.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HD5830Gamer

Well i was unscrewing the HK and 2 of the hex screws are stripped rounded.

Anyway of getting them out without damaging the block? or perhaps purchase a new block? thanks.

There are tools to get stripped screws out; they're called "easy out". You can get them at any HW store for like $20. Or you could try to get a flathead screwdriver that is just a tiny bit larger than the hole on the hex screws and tap it in there. Since it's larger than the hole itself it will carve a grove on the screw head and you might be able to take the screw out like that.

As per Seebs (easy-outs at Amazon). I have not used the easy-outs. A Dremel with the cutting blade can cut a space in the top of the screw-head for a flat-head screw driver. Worked great for me on a GTX 280. Good luck. :)

All I can say is take your time. Easy outs can help. Done right. Dremeling a slot can work. Done right. Dremeling a slot can be perfect but using a crap screwdriver all worn to heck can ruin that chance.

Be careful, you can do it without runining the block. Just take your time.

I managed to do that on my Heatkiller too. I used a torx screwdriver (can't remember the size, sorry) to get it out as it gave a good grip on the rounded out head.

I managed to do that on my Heatkiller too. I used a torx screwdriver (can't remember the size, sorry) to get it out as it gave a good grip on the rounded out head.

I'll try the Torx method. Thank you very much for the info.

And where can i buy replacement screws? does Home Depot carry them?

You're looking for M3 x 5mm countersunk screws but you can use up to 8mm length ones.

Unfortunately, I have the same issue on my HeatKiller Rev 3.0 waterblock.

Lets hope they make the HeatKiller Rev 4.0 better and with larger screws or bolts that come through from the top of the block and not the underside.

My waterblock needs cleaning out as it id full of green crap and it is going to be very difficult to open it up because of Watercools poor choice of using tiny little hex/allen head screws that burr very easily with a 2mm allen key.

I will try carefully cutting a slot in each burred screw with my Dremel and then using a flat type screwdriver.

If that does not work, plan B is to put the waterblock in the vice and using my drill press drill the top off each stupid little screw. What a pain in the ar5e Watercool! I expect much better from someting designed and made in Germany.

If your allen heads get a little worn and the driver just turns in the socket there's a trick you may be able to use. This works if the socket is not totally fubar, get a tube of valve grinding compound from a auto parts store. Put a dap on vg compound in the allen socket, insert the allen wrench, you may get lucky. If the vg compound fails, try epoxy, insert the allen wrench in wet epoxy and let it cure, then try turning the screw. JB Weld is good for this.

Make sure the tip of the wrench is not worn, pretty common with these tiny wrenches.

Another trick is to apply heat to the screw with the tip of a soldering iron, not melting solder hot but close to it.

EZ outs are miss named, they should be called hard outs.

If the above fails then musicfans dremel trick would be the next step.

Easy-Out

Extractor.

I hope this will work on 3mm screws ok!

It was the smallest one I could find.

Attachments

• DSC_0755.JPG
    DSC_0755.JPG
    464.1 KB · Views: 192
Ended up drilling out the allen head / hex head screws in the end. Then drilled six holes all the way through the waterblock. Then I flattened the top of the waterblock so the areas around where the holes come through are nice and flat. Parts of the Heatkiller block on top are chamfered which is a problem when you have 6 bolts going all the way through so the chamfer had to be overcome. Cutting and filing the top of the waterblock flattened it out. The waterblock can now easily be opened up every 12 months or so for cleaning and then reassembled. The bolts I used are 3mm with a philips countersunk head. On top of the waterblock I used 6 washers and 6 nuts. It works well. I can tighten up the nuts with a small socket set. It is easy to loosen them too when you need to for cleaning inside the block. My waterblock was full of algae and crap. It is now very clean and the temperatures are lower on my CPU. I recommend others consider doing these mods to their Heatkiller Rev 3 for easier periodic maintenance.

As per Seebs (easy-outs at Amazon). I have not used the easy-outs. A Dremel with the cutting blade can cut a space in the top of the screw-head for a flat-head screw driver. Worked great for me on a GTX 280. Good luck. :)

+1 I have used easy outs and while I love them, for this specific instance I would follow what musicfan suggested...much safer IMO.

Can You upload a picture of what you're trying to extract? I'm an auto tech and unfortunately I deal with this type of thing from time to time. But I can best advise if I know exactly what you're working with.

I would have to agree with MongGrel. To use an easy out you really need drill the hole near perfect to the center of the bolt and drill it out as much of the broken bolt as possible. The smaller the bolt the more difficult the task.

Back