• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink Does Not Working Properly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

himgil

Hi folks,

My problem is my heatsink on Toshiba L300 laptop. Several days ago, my computer started to shutdown due to overheating. Changed thermal paste, clean dust, yet same disappointing result. Today I realized that my heatsink does not working as it should be. I run my PC as is apart, and checked that the part right above the processor is SO DAMN HOT, but fan-end of heatsink is ridiculously cool.

So, is it possible to a copper-based heatsink just lost its ability to conduct? If not, is it how heatsink should work? Any suggestions are appreciated.

dsM3F.jpg

Normally fan is attached to the cold side of heatsink.

Does anyone know that this particular heatsink is just a copper-metal or a heat pipe with vacuum and gas and something? Although there is no apparent leak or damage on the surface since I've never touched it before (or dropped it in this case), is there any way to check that gas is all gone? Put in water and waiting doesn't resolve my problem :)

For future readers\searchers.

After I diagnosed my heatsink\heat pipe problem, I simply replaced it (bought from eBay for 5 bucks), and it runs just fine. Temperature is always around 50C and has not occurred any problem yet. So if anyone has a problem which could be described broadly as sudden shutdowns because of overheating of CPU, one should check thermal paste and fan and heatsink's functionalities before taking any serious action. Yes, this piece of **** based on copper, some gas, pure water, etc. could be broken and might stop working.

Thanks for replies.

Back