• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hello

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E-man

Registered
hi I need some help to get my fx8350 going a little stronger .
of course first my p.c specs are as follows

990fx extreme4 asrock mobo
8350fx amd cpu
antec 650 earthwats psu
8gb 4x2 umax 1600 ram
scythe kabuto air cooler
sapphire radeon hd 6950 2gb model with unlocked shaders
creative sound blaster z
crucial m-4 120 gb ssd
seagate 1.5 tb storage
plus fans controlers etc.
antec 300 case .a little old school but easy to mod.

My query here is that i cant seem to get a good overclock tried using the amd vision control but only able to reach 4.6 ghz and nothing would run ,heaven benchmarks etc. prime 95 was no problem and heat didnt seem too bad ,windows 7 aero got all messed up tho and only returned to normal when brought back to stock 4ghz .the included asrock axtu program was terible as well uping the multiplier didnt show on cpuid and constantly came up as not rerspondng. soo into the bios we go turn off all energy saving stuff and crank up the multiplier ,no bsod but not booting properly and same bios says 4.5ghz cpuid says 4.2 .why?? and does anyone have a set of bios settings that will help me get closer to 4.8 or 4.9 .Impossible on air cooler ?? should I get a closed loop water cooler ?? will all this improve gaming fps ,which is descent so far I would have to say above 40 on all games .14000 geek bench score and 1430 or so with heaven dx11 moderate settings . I think i should be able to push more out of this machine .No problem to buy water cooler just need some good advice . :bang head

:welcome: to the forumn E-man
You should first give this a read very informative guide geared toward the Bulldozer/Piledriver core chips.
On air you should be able to maintain a 4.5ish Ghz OC. Which is fine since the returns after that are minimal compared to the amount of power you need to put in.
Also uninstall the Asrock OC utility they can cause instability!
When that,s done and you're familiar with tyour chip from the article I posted.
Take snips of Hwmonitor free version while Prime 95 is running.
Windows7 has a great snipping tool it's called located in the accessories section. We will also want to see shots of Cpuz also the spd tab and memory tab. All this will allow us to see what's going on with your system as best as we can without actually being there.:salute:
Edit. Make sure you also have turbo core disabled.
This is the first Ext4 board I've seen in here, we'll see how it holds up since these are very demanding chips. Also if you're thinking about water that's a big investment.~$250

E-man, you will have to excuse my friend Johan here, he likes to sip on grandpa's cough syrup from time to time ;) this is the link I think he was referring to. I also feel you need to get your expectations in check. 4.8-4.9 are probably not doable on the board, even if you had big cooling. The guys in here that have that chip stable, at those clocks, only use top end boards because the FX 8 and 6 series chips tend to require a lot of power that the lower end boards just can't provide. Also most of us that have high clocks on the 8xxx series chips use full custom h20 setups not AIO water setups.

Edit: I didn't realize that board had 8+2 power phases, now I'm interested to see what it can do.

Last edited:
That motherboard will limit your overclock because it doesn't have heavy duty power phase components. You really need 8+2 power phase to get a good overclock on those high end FX CPUs. There are less than a handful of motherboards on the market now that will handle the kind of power draw involved with the overclock levels you are talking about.

Well I will just be. I just said 2 days ago that Asrock had some good boards likely like the 990FX EXT 4 but had never seen one in this forum section and there is one of them. It is at least 8+2 VRM with a fan to cool the heatpipe between the VRMs and the NorthBridge. If they have a decent bios on that board it 'should' do fairly good. Maybe not as good as the Fatal1ty, but it should be at least 300% better than those weak 970EXT3 boards.
RGone...

Didn't realize it was 8+2. I guess I was think about the 970 ext. 4. I hope it turns out to be a workhorse so there is some variety and competition.

Thanks for all the quick response . I got lucky with this board was realy hoping for pci gen 3 .but the price was right . yes the power does seem sufficient and I put the includded fan on the vrm and heat pipe . not sure about the power as you all are saying it will need alot .but what are the performance gains and will there be any benifits to this venture . for the time being I will get you guys some clips of my machine to asses all performance.yes mandrake4565 I was looking for that link and could not find it cudos for that .sorry johan we are all human prone to mistakes .glad to see a fellow canuck here although I live in japan , never forget my home .anyways seems like a good cpu and just want to play with it a bit.Of course next is an rog board crossfire and triple monitors .love the games

Since you are the 'only' user to come to this forum section, it would be very nice if you would take some pics fo the bios in the CPU section and the voltage section and the ram section. Don't care about hard drive or sound or Nic areas really. Thanks
RGone...

Thanks for catching that Manny. Got a bit of a headache but the cough is gone.:rofl:
Ya E-man there are a few of us here in this forum, Japan must be a bit of a culture shock for ya. :shock:
I've worked with them for years and , well they're Japanese.
No worries, we'll get you rocking :attn: Sounds like RGone has a personal interest in comparing this to the Fatal1ty so you're in good hands!!

Sounds like RGone has a personal interest in comparing this to the Fatal1ty so you're in good hands!!
I am interested as well. I feel it would be great if we had a lower cost option for the Fx 6 and 8 's, I hope the board does well. Though that ASRock 990FX Extreme9 looks like a nice board as well, I wonder how it compares to the Fatlady?
Glad your cough is gone Johan ;)

Ya my cough and a few brain cells :rofl:
You're right on the money with some lower cost alternatives. 8+2 for $140 :thup:

library

hope this works
will get photos of bios after you guys let me know if you can see these

not sure how to get clips to you guys.the photo bucket links work for me

Back