• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Asus M5A99X Evo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newa

Registered
Hello. I have recently got new parts to build a new computer but when I put it together the computer won't turn on. Here is a list of my hardware.

Video Card: PowerColor ATI Radeon HD6950
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1866 MHz
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor, Black Edition
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Mobo: Asus M5A99X Evo
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2 TB SATA2

When I press the on switch the only thing that happens is the light on the mobo blinks red and then nothing happens (The fans don't even spin). I have checked to make sure that it's plugged in correctly and have removed the sticks of RAM and placed them in each slot but it doesn't make the computer turn on. I have taken out the processor and placed it back in to make sure it's seated correctly but nothing different happens. I know that all the parts work because if I place them into my Asus M3A78-T the computer turns on and works fine. The only pieces that I'm unsure of working are the Corsair Vengeance RAM because they are not compatible with the M3A78-T because it won't use DDR3 RAM. I thought it may even be my case, so I took it out and layed it one some newspaper and put the bare minimum connectors to it and it still wouldn't turn on. I also tried to see if taking out the bios battery and giving it 1 min and putting it back in would help somehow (it didn't). I'm not sure why it won't turn on. I even returned the motherboard to Amazon and got a replacement but it still won't turn on.

Anyone got some suggestions?

The PSU is not faulty. It works with my other motherboard. It's also new because I thought that it may have been a problem.

It's either the mobo or the ram that's bad. Take out all but one stick of ram and try each stick in each slot one at a time. Sometimes a ram slot is bad.

I have taken both of the sticks out when I was testing it. I placed one stick in each slot then I tried to turn it on. Neither of the sticks make a difference. I don't have any spare DDR3 RAM sticks. I may have either gotten another bad MOBO or both sticks of RAM are bad. Either way it sucks. I got 1866 MHz RAM and the MOBO manual says that it will work. I'll see if I can get some new regular DDR3 ram then. Can the RAM actually make the computer not even turn on? Seems really strange.

I'm leaning towards a faulty motherboard here - if the RAM was bad I'd still expect the fans to spin up, then you'd hear the appropriate beep code (hook up a system speaker if you can).

Have you tried clearing the CMOS using the appropriate jumper?

No I haven't. I hoped that taking the bios battery out and waiting 5 mins then putting it back in would suffice. I'll try doing that.

Alright. I cleared the CMOS with the jumper after reading the manual and I even took the bios battery out and cleared the CMOS because the manual suggested it. I hooked up the computer and got nothing.

Time to get another mobo. I doubt I would buy that same model again from the same place. Who knows but what there might have been a run off the assembly line that was bad and the retailer you are buying from got more than one.

Alright. I'm gonna look into returning the Motherboard and I'm gonna try at a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX. I hope it works.

Back