• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!!!!!! Can't enter bios with a MSI-K7 Master (MS-6341)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bruin

Registered
Ok, first i need to get this out of my system: $%**%$%**%$(&%(^(#^*)%($$(&!@!@#@%%^@^#$%$#$

now that's settled......I just picked up a MSI K7 master (MS-6341) which uses the AMD 761 chipset, an AMD athlon 1.333 266 fsb, 256 mb DDR ram, and a bunch of other stuff that's unimportant now.
Here are the problems i'm running into -

#1 - Bios is incorrectly identifying the athlon as a amd athlon 1.0 ghz.
#2 - Bios is incorrectly identifying a Western Digital 40 g HD as a 35 g HD.
#3 and most importantly, I CAN'T GET INTO THE BIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's right, ever heard of a problem like that before? During the boot up, i hit del to enter bios, and the damn computer freezes. I USED to be able to get into bios. The mobo has a built in soundcard, which i disabled both in bios and with hardware jumpers, but what I had initially noticed when I connected a SB Live Value, the computer would not let me enter bios, only about 10% of the time i could get in, and it helped if i entered the bios after a soft-reboot. If i took out the SB Live Value, the computer would let me get into the bios. Now, with or without the SB Live in there, whenever i hit del to enter the bios, all i get is a blank screen with a blinking cursor. The 4 LED lights thing does not help, because it just continues to display whatever it was displaying as I hit the del key.
I've tried and successfully re-flashed the bios, jumper-shorted the bios, played with a jumper that's supposed to have something to do with adjusting the CPU bus frequency/multiplier. The computer works perfectly fine, except for the 3 reasons listed.
Anybody else EVER have a problem remotely related to this? I figure the mobo bios functions are just DOA and i gotta replace the mobo. I just would prefer not to as that would require me to drive back to my parents home and take care of it.

Thanks for any help,

you need to set the jumper on the MB from a 100 to a 133. At 100x10=1000, since you have a 266, it needs to be 133x10=1333.

#2 - HD.....limitation of the MB to acknowledge about 30 GB HD from the BIOS design.

#3 please note that the document on the MSI MB tends to be wrong. Good example is the CMOS reset is reversed, clear is normal and normal is clear.

SleepyKat (Jul 17, 2001 08:37 p.m.):

you need to set the jumper on the MB from a 100 to a 133. At 100x10=1000, since you have a 266, it needs to be 133x10=1333.

Kat, you lost me with this one.

Are you talking about JP3 ?

I have that Mobo and that's the only one that I can see.

If so how does it change to 133.

Right now I am set @ 150x10, 1.75 C/V.

I have not had any problems at all. Have even update to the latest BIOS.
Thanks.

Follow up:

First off, the cpu bus frequency/multiplier is set in the bios. Problem was I couldn't get into the bios.

I took it to the shop where i bought it, and here was the problem: I hooked up a case fan and plugged it into the motherboard in the case fan slot. Apparently, there is a bug in the motherboard, that when there is a case fan plugged into the case fan socket of the motherboard, it causes the bios to crash. So, you have to have a external power adapter cable thingy to attach to the 5v power lines and hook that to the case fan power supply. Sucks huh? Also, the MSI motherboard automatically defaults to a athlon to a 1ghz, it does not auto-detect your chip. I set up the bus frequency to 133 and multiplier to x10 to properly set up the 1.333 athlon. Just for future reference, I'd stay away from the board until they got the bugs worked out, I have had a lot of other problems with it as well.

Hmmm.

What other problems are you having?

I have NO problems with mine. Maybe you got a bad one,hmm.

I have a g-force-2mx V/C. I use the onboard sound. As this is mainly a SETI cruncher, and it runs @ 1.5 NO problems.

Dave.

I hate the board. Had it replaced 3 times with all sort of bios problem. So don't feel bad, Right now I am motherboardless while I sit and wait for the kg7-raid. They keep delaying the release. Maybe the next coming of Christ will happen before the board comes out.

Anyway my experience with the board is that if you are a type of person who does not do a lot of tweaking with it then it is ok. If you play with it (10times a day) like I do then I found the board not to be so stable. Don't take me wrong there is some great features on the board but a too many bugs for my taste. Just my 2 cent.

kyppyk (Jul 18, 2001 03:39 p.m.):
Anyway my experience with the board is that if you are a type of person who does not do a lot of tweaking with it then it is ok. If you play with it (10times a day) like I do then I found the board not to be so stable. Don't take me wrong there is some great features on the board but a too many bugs for my taste. Just my 2 cent.

It's KEWl :)

I tweak the you know what out of mine. That's Y I got a new sys. My wife was getting tired of me messing around with the Duron sys.

It runs great at 1.5.

I had it up to 1.54 but it's crunches W/U's for SETI better with the FSB @ 150x10 instead of 140x11.

The video is a gforce-2 mx 200 and it gives me NO problems with it.

Dude your problems suck, sorry to hear them :-(

Good Luck !!

Back