• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help "catching up" for new PC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

Hi guys, LONG time since I posted.

I've got a need for speed. After a new job, promotion, and paying down my student loans I'm in the market to build and redicuclock a new 2600k system.

I've got about $4000 USD attributed to this little project. The computer will be serving as a gaming PC and hub/fileserver for my home network, as well as being used for programming, general software development with the latest Visual Studio and Netbeans, game development, hardcore gaming, graphic design, and gameserver work, and many of that all at the same time.

I also use a couple applications that tend to freak out on my ATI-based video laptops (5870s) and were designed for nVidia so we're looking at nVidia video cards instead of ATI for DX11.

It's been awhile since I did a new build and I've never watercooled, so I am digging for advice. Here's what I've got on my list so far.

2x nVidia 590GTXs in SLI
Intel 2600k processor
16GB DDR3, thinking we're going with OCZ, Corsair or Crucial on this one
120GB Intel SSD (510 series, elmcrest)
2TB storage HDD
Blu-Ray Burner/reader with the obligatory second read-only drive
THermaltake VH6000BWS case
Thermaltake W0133RU PSU
Asus P8P67 Deluxe MoBo
Soundblaster X-fi Titanium HD

The machine will be running Win7 64 Pro and Linux. It will be hooked via HDMI to a 55" 120hz Samsung HDTV at 1080p and connected to a fiber optic internet connection.

Other than general opinions, my specific questions are:

1: What should I use to watercool this? The video cards have a rather large form factor; do I need watercooling there or do they have integrated vapor cooling as was rumored to me?

2: What sort of OC can I expect out of the 2600k?

3: Any suggested brands for this equipment?

4: Would it be worth it to look into one of the "gaming network cards" out there?

5: I have a bad taste in my mouth with Asus. They've given me some OK mobos in the past but I went through several of their G73JH laptops inside of a month because they used garbage parts in the build (when even Best Buy refuses to continue product still sold you know something is up). How are they holding up on the Motherboard end these days; I picked the mobo for features but is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

P.S. Any store suggestions? Newegg has a location in TN so they're subject to our sales tax, and I'm trying to dodge that. It's nearly 10% and I don't want to blow $400 I could be spending on more equipment.

Back