• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing cooling for new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

18scsc

So i am looking at building my first computer... only i have really no idea what i am doing.

I am going to be recording gaming footage and so i want to be able to run like crysis 3, skyrim, battlefield 3 and some other games at about 60 fps with max settings. Since i am recording i will also be doing a lot of editing so i want to be able to do render and compress videos really fast as well.

So far i have spec'd out the major parts of the computer.
(link here: http://tinyurl.com/7zcr29r)

I will be wanting to OC the cpu to about +4.8ghz per core and then overclock the GPU.

So, keeping in mind i am a total newb when it comes to OCing and cooling systems: what would you recommend.

Thanks!!!! :)

Unless your resolution is quite low, there is no chance you will be able to run BF3 with acceptable FPS at max settings (none the less 60) with a 550ti. You need to step up that GPU big time... GTX670/680, 7870, 79507970. What resolution are you gaming on?

Chances are with the 3770k you will not be settling at a 4.8Ghz overclock either, regardless of cooling (custom water is about the only way in most cases).

As far as the PSU, Even with a 7970 or 680, you would only need a 600W PSU (which is plenty of headroom). I would look at the Corsair PSU's in that wattage range.

That HDD you listed is good for storage, but not for an OS. Its slow compared to the Caviar Black or blue. I wouldnt go less than blue personally.

EDIT: Your ram... 2133Mhz isnt needed. Get DDR3 1600Mhz and save a few dollars. That along with a lesser PSU should free up a few dollars for a better GPU which you need.

Last edited:
Im going to get a 1920 x 1080 monitor so i will have a high resolution.

I took your advice and am looking at other ram, also changed to a caviar black.

As for the PSU, would 600w be sufficient with a dual SLI GPU, OCd CPU and cooling to support that?

Should i upgrade my GPU or just get another 550ti for a SLI setup?

And what cooling system and case would you recommend for 300 dollars for maximum over clocking?

550ti in SLI isn't enough.

Maximum overclocking. Have you ever overclocked? In a few months of nightly adventures learning to overclock then yes, maybe you will need a $300 watercooled setup. Don't think of overclocking yet please.

No i have never overclocked, like i said i have no idea what i am doing :p. What i meant by maximum over clocking is what do you think would be reasonable for set up for 300 dollars for booth a case and a cooling system.

I am defiantly going to get a better GPU though.

Ohh a case AND cooling? That's not watercooling for sure then. Well, I'm outta touch with cases. And air cooled CPU is easily found:

Case? Use our Case subforum and the multitude of case reviews on our front page, upper right, home button.

Cooling? We have a forum for that too and stickies. I'm sure with a bit of a read you can find what you need.

The GPU, you'll want a new 600 series GPU, maybe not the 680, but something in the $350 range probably.

Don't skimp on a cheap power supply, look in our power supply forum for info and links what's good to buy.

I suggest ONE card. GTX 680 is out (but not in stock), GTX670 should be out soon, or 7950 would be perfect and less hassle than 2 cards.

The only problem is money, i have 1500 dollars allocated to my first build. The GTX 680 is nearly a .5k

Back