• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help: cpu heatsinks on vga cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yeha

i'm planning on doing this for a 6600 non-gt pci-e card in particular, but i'm after some general cpu-heatsink-on-vga-card advice to get everything straight in my head. this will be a rambling post, here's basically all my thoughts mashed together:

the perfect candidate would be a copper, high-fin-density 80mm-fan heatsink preferably without the retention clip going through the middle. it could be attached either using zip-ties around the card itself, by drilling two holes through the sink to use the large-hole mounting system, or by drilling four holes through the sink to use the smaller-hole mounting system. since i don't have a drill i'd rather the zip-tie option, i'm curious about disadvantages to this - nothing major has popped into my head yet.

i don't drill holes in things very often, i'd like to mount eventually using screws but i'm not sure how to drill precise holes possibly through fins. perhaps high-fin-density means drilling holes isn't an option.

a hunch tells me that the gpu die is taller than the memory, so the heatsink wouldn't make ram contact despite possibly covering the chips. i wonder what kind of spacer material could be used to bridge the gap between memory and heatsink base - anything would be better than a gap of air, right?

these strike me as interesting candidates (once stripped of fans, housing, etc.), i'm just wondering if there's anything obvious i'm missing:

35-114-015-01.jpg

F5006-2.jpg

CUP458-Full-Copper-478-Cooler.jpg

CC-VA6040.jpg

any thoughts, suggestions, flames? it seems many low-profile xeon heatsinks are exactly what i'm after. this one is a cheap monster, but 1 pound might be a bit much, not to mention it might not physically fit on the card.

i've recently made a cpu heatsink ready for mounting on a video card. its from an athlon xp, aluminum construction, with a copper (its aluminum coated so at a glance you woulnt know it was copper) to make it ready for mounting, i drilled two holes in the base, stopping before i went all the way through, and jb welded in 2 1" #4-40 scews with their heads sawed off. theyre mounted with 2 washers, a nut, and a spring on each screw. i'd prefer to drill smaller holes and tap them, so that the screws screw into them, but i didnt have the equipment for them.

huh that's an interesting method - have attached screws sticking out the bottom of the heatsink to go through the mounting holes - then you just spin the nuts on the card underside for desired pressure. i was worried about somehow having to drill down through the fins from the topside, your way makes much more sense.

heck i might even be able to do that myself. any chance you could post some photos?

nope, sorry. my brother took his digicam back a few months ago. wish i could though.

yeha 500grams! on video card? get the aero cool vm101 heatpipes and fanless. I really like the passive heatsink and plan on overclocking higher with that heatsink since it works great! beware if cpu is next to agp slot.

just to get it clear, you marked the drill points to match the card's 2 holes, drilled into the heatsink's base (how far in did you go? any drilling mishaps i might not expect on a heatsink? what size drill piece?), jb'ed in some headless screws, then added washers, springs and nuts. this outta be fun.

I agree vith el. I have a vm101 mounted on my overclocked and volt-modded 5700U. Temps were decent fanless, but when I put a Zalman 92mm fan on it, the core barely breaks 40C at full load. Plus, it was pretty cheap, something around $20 on newegg. I fully recommend it for anything except a 6800 (too much heat).

heh yeah, hanging 500 grams of copper with zip-ties isn't the smartest thing to do, but some supernatural force is driving me to try it. i'll most likely end up with a vm-101 but this will be too much fun to pass up.

i'll probably go with the $2 xeon heatsink i linked to, but if i go insane i'll get a brutal supermicro snk-p0010 copper monster for $17 shipped.

Back