• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP CPU runs at 100% (no virus)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cerebus103

Registered
hey everyone i am in need of some help i can seem to figure out why every little thing i do wants to run that individual process at 100%. games that i meet the recommended specs on, want to run at 100% making them difficult to play.
i have been working with computers for a while and i cant seem to tackle this one. just the other day i went to look at an old game i used to play as a kid and noticed that it was running at 100% (runescape) i dont see why it is being so demanding on everything. i have also bought a new hard drive reinstalled windows and still nothing.

Attachments

• cpu1.png
    cpu1.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 144
  • cpu2.png
    cpu2.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 139
  • cpu3.png
    cpu3.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 141
  • cpu4.png
    cpu4.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 143
  • cpu5.png
    cpu5.png
    21 KB · Views: 147
sorry to tell you but that athlon x2 is probably really being used at 100% its pretty outdated what games are making it load full?

yes i know its outdated planning to buy new mb and processor, switching back to intel. runescape, microvolts, two worlds 2, team fortress 2, combat arms, star wars the old republic, plus watching a movie in vlc or windows media player. and if i listen to pandora i cant really do anything else on the computer with out it sounding like it skipping because others are stealing its processes needed to play. i know my internet speeds not a problem i usually download around 3mb/s

yea its just the proceesor is outdated not much you can do :( besides overclock it to see if it helps but i had a single core amd Athlon at work and it was terrible i couldnt even play pandora lol

Yes your talking a chip that is 6 years old or so. Overclock is your best bet. I think 2.8-3.0Ghz u should be able to get with cheap air cooling.

Id like to overclock it but im stuck with hp's locked bios.
Motherboard nettle3 mcp61 a2.
I've looked for custom bios but wasn't sure what was trustworthy to use

There IS a BIOS out there to unlock that board.... As I did it with a Compaq machine that used the same board.

However... The board itself isn't capable of much of an overclock even with the unlocked options.

I myself wouldn't even try it again if I knew what I know now.

It's time for an upgrade sadly...

There IS a BIOS out there to unlock that board.... As I did it with a Compaq machine that used the same board.

However... The board itself isn't capable of much of an overclock even with the unlocked options.

I myself wouldn't even try it again if I knew what I know now.

It's time for an upgrade sadly...

Yup im upgrading it slowly thanks for the help everyone

I once tried BFBC2 on a pentium4 with a single 6950, used to get 5-12fps, but mostly under 10fps

There is much more wrong here than the CPU being old, guys.
Listening to pandora or watching a movie should not make an Athlon 64 X2 unusable.

The CPU load in games may be true, because a GTX 285 is a bit more than what that CPU can handle, and the CPU is definitely bottlenecking it...max I would have put with any X2 would have been about a 260.

Athlon 64 X2 is about 3x the CPU of a Pentium 4, though, and still smashes Pentium D...

The 4800+ is akin to a lower end Core 2 E6000 series (Conroe-based) when at stock.

the gtx 285 was free only reason y its installed before upgrading the cpu and what not. but i noticed this problem even when using onboard graphics. is there any way i can limit the graphics card from pulling so much

Well the GPU has nothing to do with 2D, like pandora and watching movies.

Can you give a screenshot of Task Manager with all processes shown, (administrator processes too, so show all processes) or a list of them?

play a game even in browser games cause it to spike. idk if its just java not working with windows 7 correctly but when ever i try to install a dual boot of xp but it wont let me keeps stopping usb from booting. i dont have a cd drive right now let a friend borrow for his computer

Back