• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP CPU runs at 100% (no virus)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Without knowing exactly how it acts in person it's kinda hard to diagnose the problem.
Your 4800+ should handle 2 things at once, and especially flash games and such.

Have latest drivers and updates?

I'm out of ideas.

Your ram speed being under 800 has nothing to do with it.

I once had a single core Celeron at 1.2GHz with 1GB DDR2 @ 400MHz. I could play vCoD and listen to WMP at the same time. You should be having no problem.

Maybe you can try downloading Ubuntu, run it as Live media, and see if you can play a flash game while listening to pandora.

Is reformatting an option? If so, skip the above, download the latest drivers for all of your hardware, back up your system, and do a full reformat/reinstall of Windows. A fresh install plus latest drivers will definitely let us know if it's OS related, or otherwise.

As I stated initially I have already bought a new hard drive and installed fresh. I will try ubuntu I already have a disc for it, ubuntu is already alot less demanding in requirements then windows.

(Beep)
I could let u see it through team viewer or similar process but im on duty today so I don't have it with me but can schedule a time during the week

Did you try changing from firefox to chrome? I have had many issues with firefox lately.

I've got ie, firefox, opera, and chrome. Also some java based games r played from standalone launchers... oh and I noticed that while having somethings open but minimized my cpu usage will be at 0% and ram at 25&

This is a very perplexing problem. Some of the facts make everything seem A-OK like it idling at 0% CPU load. But if you can't do some very basic multi tasking, there's most def an issue.

I started writing this post to recommend a reformat and reinstall, or a livedisc ubuntu in lieu of that. I see someone has already recommended and you've completed the reinstall. Damn. The unfortunate thing is that those parts are too old to easily isolate the issue. ie swapping out a replacement CPU or RAM wouldn't be very time/cost effective.

I seem to recall having a very similar problem with an older PC. I want to say that it was an Athlon, predating the X2s, but I can't be sure at this point. The issue ended up being related to the motherboard. Either a BIOS flash, a reinstall of the latest MB drivers from the vendor website fixed it.

The one thing no one has suggested is to run memtest. You will need to load it on a USB stick and test for a few hours. I have see bad memory do all kinds of odd stuff.

Ok here's a quick way to figure something out. Im into software development and coding. Can someone else grab the client for drakensang (free online game) and open it to the game and play pandora... see if u run at 100% also

no its not ive listed my common games once already thats just a more definite resource hog here stopping me from even doing ine other thing while it runs on low grahics. i have team viewer if someone else has it and would like to see the problem themselves. just message me and i will tell u my connection info

ok guys i tried ubuntu and it was worse ran at 80% both cores almost whole time then when i opened firefox it ran at 100% without let up. i took screen but they wont open anymore. im gonna try to update bios now. anyone know a good place i can look for the unlocked bios for my mother board.(sorry if i wasnt allowed asking that here)

Ok here's a quick way to figure something out. Im into software development and coding. Can someone else grab the client for drakensang (free online game) and open it to the game and play pandora... see if u run at 100% also
If you want to wait until saturday...
Maybe I'll pull out my 5600+ and downclock it to 2.8, also add in memory of your speed and set CAS latencies.

I'll do a fresh install of whatever OS you want, XP Pro (Form of TinyXP), Vista 32 or Win7 64 Home/Pro, plus one browser and start pandora on that machine.

I'm busy though, so maybe not...and that is quite a bit of work on my end for possibly no gain on understanding of this problem.

Windows 7 has them already incorporated.
They really didn't fix too much either...I think it just made sure that programs received accurate clock information of the CPU.

Back