• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP CPU runs at 100% (no virus)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kinda sounds like hardware failure to me. If 2 seperate OS's are acting the same, chances are it's not software related.

But if it was a hardware failure, it would cause instability.
I'm at a loss here, maybe Athlon 64 X2 is much slower than I remember it to be...

Ok I figured it out. I went and looked into the history of this processor in specific and found that its one of the original dual cores made by amd. Looking at that I figure its prob really buggy and it has lived to its running hours unsure what it is. But I almost always leave the computer running....... I've just relier something not much of a problem till I upgraded my power supply which went to the mother board with a 20 pin connection but mb had 24 pin so with new supply I plugged the full 24 pin connection. That would have been a change I made when I first noticed this could the factory have installed 20 pin on purpose

ok, soo..does work it OK now or? Sorry could not quite follow.

The PSU should be with a 24pin connector for that board.
If it was running with a 20pin, probably not enough power fed to to processor and it was
running in its low power state a few times.

If you suspect something else eating CPU capacity, you can try Processexplorer :
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

This should reveal if anything extra is interfering.

Despite some of the claims in some of the posts here in this thread
that combo should have no difficulties running any average application
if the OS is intact with correct drivers.

Do you have some add-on PCI-cards or USB devices in that?

Ok I figured it out. I went and looked into the history of this processor in specific and found that its one of the original dual cores made by amd. Looking at that I figure its prob really buggy and it has lived to its running hours unsure what it is. But I almost always leave the computer running....... I've just relier something not much of a problem till I upgraded my power supply which went to the mother board with a 20 pin connection but mb had 24 pin so with new supply I plugged the full 24 pin connection. That would have been a change I made when I first noticed this could the factory have installed 20 pin on purpose
Well, it isn't buggy, you would have errors in software and such if that was the case.
You've got the second generation dual core from AMD...
The CPU is old, but should not be extremely slow...

I'm a bit lost myself, I'd have to suggest just upgrading or living with it. :-/

If you do not use the modem card, might as well uninstall the driver for the modem PCI card and take out the card. You can put it back when/if you need it. This just to rule out any IRQ overlap for the PCI, if that happens CPU capacity is drained.

ok i ordered my new mb ad processor today. but wanted to check out how windows 8 ran on the computer and its worse then but one thing i did notice is that almost everything thats boosting my cpu usage is service host files. any idea as to y its doing that

Do you have iTunes installed? There is a glitch in iTunes that causes extreme cpu usage even when iTunes is closed. The culprit is the wireless sync service. Even if you do not wirelessly sync any of your apple devices (if you have any) the fact that the service is running anyways causes problems for some people.

Not everyone has this issue but it is well documented on the apple/iTunes forum.

Good luck

i have a question everything i have been doing with cpu-z i cant see multiplier bus speed or ht link of core #1 just core #2. is it possible a pin is fried and not letting me access me second core causing this problem

Is the CPU-Z anomaly with Win7 or Win8? Could be CPU-Z is not compatible with Win8 yet. Or is the 1st core detected and running at all? Check in BIOS and in Task Manager.

Back