• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Fan Stopped Working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was thinking about something like that, since it's a 5V fan (I did toast the old fan with 12V trying to test it) I was considering tapping into a USB port, but I don't trust myself enough with a soldering iron to do that... Even if I did, I guess that makes the fan run 100% all the time, right? And would I be able to use that USB port anymore?
Unless you put a rheostat between the source and the fan, yes, it would run full speed. As long as the fan pulls less than 500ma, it would work just fine off a USB connection.

If you don't mind pulling the planar and have decent soldering skills, the best place to tap the power is the planar connections to the USB port itself. wires can be run from there to connectors for the fan itself. I've done this for other devices that needed to be internally powered for proof of concept prototypes. You would be interested in pins 1 and 4. I'll not describe positioning, since it will depend on how you are looking at the connector and which side of the planar is being attached, other than from the outside of the case pin 4 is ground and on the left and pin 1 is 5V Vcc on the right. Be careful not to overheat the PCB. It's not as sensitive as other components, but care still needs to be taken. Soldering to the pads could be an issue due to Rojas soldering and high temp materials, so try to find a connection point that is not a pad. Once completed, remember to cover the USB port connection to avoid inadvertently plugging another device into it.

That's the thing, I've destroyed more electronics trying to solder them than I've fixed. I'm thinking about reassembling the laptop and selling it to someone with the skills who might be willing to take that on.

Back