• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help finding good AM2/AM2+ mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FatCamel

I am having a hard time finding a good AM2/AM2+ mobo. I need it to be able to use all of the things in my sig, I would also like it to have dual lan and at least 7.1 audio.

If any of you happen to know where I can find one please help me out.

Thanks,
Camel

What's your price range? That's an older board. Looks like it may have come out when AM2 was new technology. You on a budget? I was thinking you were looking for a newer generation product. Not sure when MSI started getting better again. I used several MSI boards up through the socket 939 era and was pleased with them. Haven't used them lately, however.

My advice to you is go with the Asus M3A78-T. It's a very rock solid board with some amazihng features. Believe it or not, dual lan is not very useful. I had an old AM2 Nforce 570SLI board with Dual Gigabit Lan and I had no noticeable performance increase or loss. It's negligible at best when gaming.

The best price I find for the MSI board you referenced is $55 plus shipping on a Ebay auction. That's the starting price for a used board. No bids on it yet. 4 days left: http://cgi.ebay.com/MSI-K9A-Platinu...ViewItemQQptZMotherboards?hash=item414bbaa055

I think you'd be smarter investing in a newer AM2+ board, notwithstanding the dual LAN issue. My suggestion would be to go with a 785 chipset board (SB 710). That's a pretty sturdy chipset with the ACC bios option that holds the potential for unlocking Phenom 2 CPUs with disabled cores. That gives you some upgrade potential for the near future. Plus, they are very reasonably priced, running in the $75 range.

This looks good to me: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

Last edited:
I am trying to stay below $150 so I can afford ordering some ammo for my .45 and rifle soon.

I don't mind spending a little more for a new board I just don't know what is good and with the overpriced Intel junk running the market I can't find any good reviews of new AM2 stuff.

Back