• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! FPS DROPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j9x.inca

Registered
Hardware:
Alienware M14X R2
i7 3740 QM
Nvidia GT 650M 2GB DDR5 (underclocked 660)
16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance RAM (2 DIMMS)
Running on Windows 8 64 bit
-------------------------------

My problem is that when I run some games such as Borderlands 2, I have great FPS about 50-60 at all times and my GPU temp NEVER goes above 67 degrees celsius. My GPU usage will go up and stay at 99% most of the time during gameplay and my fps will randomly drop to like 6-10 fps for a few seconds almost like lag, then it will rise back up to the regular 50-60 fps. and 5-10 min later it will drop again to a low fps. Quite a few games do this and idk why. I have the latest Nvidia drivers and i have Antialiasing on to save GPU power. I have PhysX set to Auto (i have tried switching to see if it makes a difference). I have my card currently overclocked to the best it could be +200 to the core clock, and +800 to the memory clock for a total of 1150 Mhz Core Clock and 2800 Mhz memory clock. I have used 3d Mark to get to this clock. My physics score seems to be low compared to my graphics score which concerns me.
Here is my 3d mark score: http://www.3dmark.com/cg/295055
Please help, is it my physics score that is the problem, if so why am i having physics problems when i have a new 3rd gen i7 with 16GB ram?

It could be because your overclock isn't stable? Do you have something like a fan curve on? just in case that the graphics card might be getting too hot when you're not monitoring it.

It could be because your overclock isn't stable? Do you have something like a fan curve on? just in case that the graphics card might be getting too hot when you're not monitoring it.

No my overclock is stable, and it does the same thing if i put it back to stock clock settings. I have no fan tweaks, its running at stock and I can hear it turn on most of the time in extreme graphic situations like it should. I have a monitor on and msi afterburner. It says on log max temp 67 degrees. I have also quickly alt+tab out of the game when it starts to lag to check temps/gpu usage. gpu usage is at 99% and temp is at like 66 degrees give or take. It's got to be a problem with how its processing physics but i dont know what to do about that.

I also have custom applied IC Diamond thermal compound to CPU and GPU which im guessing is why my GPU is staying so cool.

Still the symptoms you describe sound alot like your GPU or CPU is being throttled because of heat. Do you have your laptop on a cooling pad. I would hope you never use it on your bed or anything like that.( Whens the last time you cleaned the dust and crap out of it.) You can manually set physics to your CPU but I highly doubt thats whats causing problems. The physix score from 3D mark is highly dependant on your processor.

Still the symptoms you describe sound alot like your GPU or CPU is being throttled because of heat. Do you have your laptop on a cooling pad. I would hope you never use it on your bed or anything like that. You can manually set physics to your CPU but I highly doubt thats whats causing problems
Then what could i possibly due to see that? because my temps are showing up great. Also if it was throttling wouldn't it reduce FPS for more than 5-10 sec? My computer is on a cooling pad on a desk dust free. Im downloading GPU Temp right now so i can get a more broad view of temp ranges.

Ya use something that will monitor and keep a graph for you. If you're checking the temps with software after coming out of a game remember they cool quite quickly.
My first attempt at a fix would be putting it back to stock and see if it still happens.
HW monitor works and will hold your max temp.

Ya use something that will monitor and keep a graph for you. If you're checking the temps with software after coming out of a game remember they cool quite quickly.
My first attempt at a fix would be putting it back to stock and see if it still happens.
HW monitor works and will hold your max temp.

Ok so i just used GPU Temp, which holds a graph and then ran Borderlands 2 for about 5-10 min and played around. Same thing , when doing a lot of things like throwing grenades shooting jumping and lots of enemies fps dropped down for a 5-10 sec. Still temps didnt go above 67 or 68.

Does it show gpu and cpu usage. One of them may just be getting bogged down.

I see you posted earlier that your GPU usage was 99%. Try shutting off the AA

Do you have any mirroring graphic drivers, logmein/kaseya/teamviewer, installed?

That was the cause of my problem.

Ok so temps read:
CPU Package: 90 degress C max (im guessing thats bad?)
CPU Core 0 & 1 & 3: max 87 degrees C
CPU Core 2: 90 degrees C max

GPU Max 68 degrees

So what is causing the heat with CPU? Turbo Boost?

Can't you just shut it off in the game. 90 is warm and I'm not that familiar with intel but I think tht CPU temp is ok.

I can shut it off in game, but the problem arises in many games so id rather shut it off through NVIDIA

Ok so still no luck. I did notice that in HW Monitor my CPU says 3820QM when i have a 3740QM?

Did this just start happening or has it been an ongoing problem? And how high are your quality settings in game. You might just be expecting too much from that GPU

Well I just got this computer last week so its new. Ive tried low settings and high settings it doesnt matter it still happens which confuses me. Right now its at high settings (but low on the physics in game settings) because im using GeForce Experience which automatically sets the settings for games in accordance with my GPU. Still, even at max low settings it still does this. Which leads me to believe its not the GPU but maybe a software issue, CPU issue, driver issue etc.

Back