• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help h80 vs noctua d14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
which one u guys think i should get ?

They should both perform admirably.

I shall give you some advice to help you make the right decision for you.

I own an nh-d14 it is huge! so you might have clearance issues with you case. Also due to its size it sometimes interferes with memory that have tall heat spreaders. I really like my nh-d14 but its size is its biggest drawback but the size is what makes it so good.

if you go with the h80 you shouldn't have any clearance issues with your memory or case size, also I have install a couple of the corsair h serie coolers and I think they look very neat and clean. so if you want a polished looking build I would vote h80.

Also there is the price to consider.

the nh-d14 is $79.99

and

the h80 is $109.99.

hope this helps to make your choice a bit easier :thup:

EDIT: also some boards like the p67 sabertooth like air coolers due to the protective covering over the mobo.

From what I've seen the NH-D14 beats all closed loop water cpu coolers. However I haven't seen how the H80 preforms.
the noctua is huge but its also huge in cooling.i have used noctua and my pc temps never go over 40'c full load @stock but when overclocked from 3.3ghz to 4ghz the temps are 59'c full load...

if I were to go and buy a different cooler now, given the options I would chose an h80 over my nh-d14 since it looks much better.

I've also heard the fans on the H80 are pretty damn loud at full bore too. Much louder than the H70 fans. They turn up to 2700 rpm, which is actually 100 rpm higher than my Denki H1011 fans.

Well, the H100 is supposed to be released "soon". It should outperform the H80, and hopefully with lower noise. No way to tell until some reviews come out, but it should be worth the wait.

I quite like my D14, It has the added bonus of the 140mm will push air over VRM heatsinks, which in alot of system will get neglected for airflow.

The relative silence of the d14 is a nice bonus of the design.

The only problem with the D14, especially if you are a bencher like yourself, TsunamiJuan, is that the D14 doesn't scale nearly as well as other heatsinks with high cfm like the TRUE. When you get to the extreme cfm end it gets left in the dust by the monolithic body heatsinks with a 300 cfm screamer mounted on it. But then, I imagine that when you are benching you are probably going sub-ambient anyways.

Yeah i have a theory about that, I'll talk with you about it at some time. It is a very much low cfm design. However I don't bench on Air Generally. But I do use the d14 my desktop and love it.

I like mine too, just don't like having to remove my cooler if I wanna change my ram. doesn't happen very often but when I had to it was a pain. but it is def a solid and virtually silent cooler.

I fairly routinely remove ram from my p8 and usually i can just unclip the 120mm and i am good to go, Though they have the rotational kit for the amd's that might take care of that on some systems.

I am running all 4 dimms can't access the first slot next to cpu socket without removing the heat sink. at least for me. built this before I knew anything about computers :p

I am running all 4 dimms can't access the first slot next to cpu socket without removing the heat sink. at least for me. built this before I knew anything about computers :p

wow i dint know it was so many reply's lol but i think im going to wait and see how the h100 performs .. depends on the results ill get the best one between them 2. :D

I just bought an H80 and i am not impressed with it at all. I have dobble checked a few times now that its on properaly as my 2600k is running 40c in idle and goes up as high as 70c under load. I have not even really done anything amazing on the OC, just running 4.4Ghz. I just orded some more 200mm case fans so hope that fixes my heating problems.

But so far the H80 is no where near as good as i though it was going to be...

Do you have the pump power to a molex? The pump should run 100% all the time (dont use mobo pins unless you use bios to turn them to 100% all the time)

Though it should be able to keep a SB chip cooler than that at 4.4.. a hyper212+ does a great job, so this should technically beat it!

I use the d14 as well and its mad quiet.. at 100% (my fans are on a standalone conroller) they still arent louder than the scythes I have on my door @ 5v.

Do you have the pump power to a molex? The pump should run 100% all the time (dont use mobo pins unless you use bios to turn them to 100% all the time)

Though it should be able to keep a SB chip cooler than that at 4.4.. a hyper212+ does a great job, so this should technically beat it!

I use the d14 as well and its mad quiet.. at 100% (my fans are on a standalone conroller) they still arent louder than the scythes I have on my door @ 5v.

Yes, i got the pump power to a molex so it is running 100%. I am almost at the point of thinking that i got a H80 that is not working like it should. But will get two 200mm case fans tomorrow and try and get a better air flow though my case before i throw it out the window ;)

Yes, i got the pump power to a molex so it is running 100%. I am almost at the point of thinking that i got a H80 that is not working like it should. But will get two 200mm case fans tomorrow and try and get a better air flow though my case before i throw it out the window ;)

Do you have the fans blowing air into the case or blowing air out of the case through the radiator?

have you felt the pump/block during operation? it should have a very slight vibration to it. if you feel nothing then you might have gotten a lemon. not sure how corsair is with RMA but try to get it replaced before you trash it.

@ Duner, i got both the fans pulling air from the outside into the case. I just installed an H70 last week on a mates pc so have read all the instructions ;) I was running Prime95 last night and with a cpu voltage at 1.25 the temp was stable at 68/69C.

@ Bmwbaxter, it does have a vibration to it but i have read that sometimes due to air in the system the H-series coolers sometimes to not circulate the coolant properaly. I am guessing that could be my problem. I will try some experments this weekend to check out this theory.

Back