• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! I5 4670k with Asrock z87 won't boot into windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Benitora

So finally jumping ship from my old q6600 platform and put together the following set up this weekend.

I5 4670k
Asrock z87 extreme4
Crucial 4x4 ballistix ddr3 1600
Hd 5870
Wd 1tb black
Astro PT 700w psu

It will boot into the bios fine but when win 7 tries to load it freezes up then BSOD when it's forming the win 7 symbol.

I've checked out all of my connections and everything seems to be connected right. This is my first I series rig so any help would be appreciated thanks.

Was windows carried over from a previous system?

That and I have no idea who "Astro" is for a PSU maker. Its likely not the problem, but I would look into getting a quality PSU at some point.

Yeah I just pulled it from my previous rig.

Psu isn't the issue was a review sample I got off the classifieds that's platinum rated and barely has any use on it. Only new components are mobo, cpu, ram. Everything else I re used

1. Platinum rated has nothing to do with quality.
2. Barely used doesn't mean its a quality unit either.
3. I know its likely not the issue, but unless the OEM is from a quality maker, I would think about getting a new one...

Try a repair install of windows and see if that helps.

I tried the repair install and tried to restore it after that and neither one of those did anything. Would there be anything I would need to look out for on the new components? I literally just swap everything from a working rig.
Could my hdd have taken a crap on me?

Your previous windows install, was it done in IDE mode or AHCI? If in IDE, you need to install AHCI drivers first to use AHCI mode.

1. In the Windows start menu search box type "regedit" (without the quotes) then right click the entry and click "Run as Administrator".
2. Enter your user credentials for the User Account Control prompt and then click Yes to open regedit.
3. In the Registry Editor window, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services
4. In the left pane click "msahci"
5. In the right pane, right click on "start” and then click "modify".
6. In the window that opens, change the value to "0" and click OK.
7. Close the registry editor by clicking on File menu on the top and then Close.

Now you'll need to restart your computer and then get into the System BIOS. Change the mode from IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) to AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface). Save the changes and exit.

Windows will now install the drivers for your AHCI. You would need to restart one final time to finish the process after the drivers are installed.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-enabled/1ed33ae9-b2ff-4d1f-b28c-406153e04faa

Yeah I did on my old platform.Think you figured it out. I never would have thought about that. Going to work on that now

I'll let you know how it goes

Yeah got everything up and running now and have to say this is quite an improvement over a 6/7 year old q6600 :D

you solved that in like 2 posts. impressive :thup:

yup to those who dont know achi wasnt available on 775 platform on most boards lol. And newer boards dont have IDE mode. This is another reason i always recommend a fresh clean install when moving a hdd to a new system for use as primary drive. Setup modes and driver issues can have ya banging ur head for hours on whats wrong.

well I should of said that differently but I went with most boards lol. It wasnt available on the earlier 775 platforms iirc. I believe the earlier models did not have it while the later x38 and the likes did. But even then most people didnt use it they just went with native sata or set the sata to ide mode. But since OP didnt specify which board I did a blanket statement, didnt mean to mislead anyone lol.

Yeah, to lazy to do a clean install because Im buying a ssd later this month. I'd figure I do it then... I was just itching to play with these components in the meantime tho :D

Back