• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I really need some overclocking help with my new EVGA Z87 FTW mobo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xBaZx

Hello everyone! I'm new here. This is my first post and I really need some help from you guys. I have an issue with my new motherboard. I have an i5 4670k. On my old msi z87 g45 mobo, overlcocking was simple and I never had an issue. With this one, some weird and annoying things are happening. I'm trying to get my cpu to 4.4ghz (where I had it on my last mobo) and every time I restart my system or wake it up from sleep, it will revert to 3.6ghz at 1.18 volts. When I go into the BIOS, my voltage offset settings are where I left them and so is the multiplier settings. I have it set to +90 on the offset voltage to acheive 1.244 volts at 4.4ghz which I am 100% sure is stable. When I change the multiplier to anything other than 44 and then change it back and reboot, it will work. My overclock sticks. But as soon as I restart or it goes to sleep, it goes back to the 3.6ghz/1.18 volts again. I have absolutely no idea what is going on here. The only settings other than the multiplier and the voltage offset that I have changed are the ram XMP and the boot options. Didnt touch anything else. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

You are saying that after you reset the clocks and reboot it works. But then you reboot again the overclock doesn't stick but the settings are there in the bios?

Also, sleep is a known issue with Haswell chips IIRC. Though I recall it BSOD not having wonky overclocking results.

Are you sure its not power saving features that are kicking in and lowering the processor speed? When you put a load on it, say with a stress test, does the speed ramp back up?

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version?

welcome! :)

Yep thats what's happening. My bios is the latest version and when I stress test it, it doesnt go any higher than 3.6. Just to clarify, every setting remains the same in the bios. The only thing that changes are the voltage and clock speed that the cpu is actually running at. Every value stays the same. When I reboot and go to the bios, the mobo tells me at the top of the page that its running at 3.6/1.18 but the settings are where I left them.

Back