• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help in overclocking Athlon II x 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CPU/NB wants lowering to 2000 to see if that's causing issues and you're mem speed is low now, you need to knock up to the next level (whatever that is in your bios)

Edit : have you tested that for stability ?

do you want me to lower down the CPU/NB frequency to 2000hz? whats the general name of the mem speed in bios so i can check and change it and i havent. ill try it right now.

The mem speed is the one you mentioned earlier where it starts at 400 and goes up, you must be set at 400 (2:1) (260x2=520mhz) and try to get the CPU/NB close to 2000 (stock) it will want setting to x8 and put ht link on x7.

do you want me to lower down the CPU/NB frequency to 2000hz? whats the general name of the mem speed in bios so i can check and change it and i havent. ill try it right now.

i tried the current settings and its the same thing.. im still getting BSOD. i lowered down the CPU/NB to 2000hz and increase the memory clock to the next level up and im checking it right now.

Your current vcore is about as much as I would want to put into it for 24/7 so don't raise that no more :thup:

Your current vcore is about as much as I would want to put into it for 24/7 so don't raise that no more :thup:

i still got BSOD keny. i tried lowering down the FSB to 255 and testing it. what do you think? am i doing something wrong? if 3.90Ghz is a bit too much can i atleast get something higher than 3.5Ghz at a stable rate?

Don't lower the fsb yet, try lowering the CPU multi by 0.5

Can you put up a screen of what settings it failed at thanks

the picture below is my target but i cant get it to stabilize
View attachment 133796

but whenever i do that on my RIG it will boot up but when i try the intel burn test i doesnt even pass 1 test and goes to BSOD right away.

That's because the Ram is going to need more voltage to run that stock 7-7-7 timing and divider at nearly 700mhz.

Thinking about it, post 8... Scotty might be right. Worth a shot if you can't get the 260 fsb to work for you.

That's because the Ram is going to need more voltage to run that stock 7-7-7 timing and divider at nearly 700mhz.

Thinking about it, post 8... Scotty might be right. Worth a shot if you can't get the 260 fsb to work for you.

is it changing the multiplier to x13 instead of x15? and changing the FSB to 300? should i change any of the settings i got right now like the ram timings and such?

Last edited:
alright ill try that. and how can i know whats settings its failing?

You can't know, that's why its a slow process, you normally start from stock, then check to see how far your boards fsb will go, then clock the CPU as far as it will go, then the ram then the nb, but yours was half arsed as you had already started but not to worry, we already know its not your CPU/NB as you ran that at nearly stock and it failed so it is either ram (doubtful) CPU or board.

You can't know, that's why its a slow process, you normally start from stock, then check to see how far your boards fsb will go, then clock the CPU as far as it will go, then the ram then the nb, but yours was half arsed as you had already started but not to worry, we already know its not your CPU/NB as you ran that at nearly stock and it failed so it is either ram (doubtful) CPU or board.

well keny here's what we got. i was able to pass the intel burn test atleast 10 times by lowering the multiplier to x14.5 giving me 3.770GHz . here a pic of it and the max temp was also not that high... :) so do you think we can make the 3.90GHz possible?
yehey.jpg

i really do appreciate all you work bro. thanks a lot!! :clap:

You could now try and raise your fsb in increments of 2 or even 1, after each raise you need to retest, also make sure that your other clocks (mem/ht/CPUnb) all stay in check as raising the fsb will also raise these, but you only want ~5 fsb so you may find that you will be ok just to leave them, but something to be aware of nonetheless.

You could now try and raise your fsb in increments of 2 or even 1, after each raise you need to retest, also make sure that your other clocks (mem/ht/CPUnb) all stay in check as raising the fsb will also raise these, but you only want ~5 fsb so you may find that you will be ok just to leave them, but something to be aware of nonetheless.

ok ill try that, but i left the FSB to 260 and i lowered the multiplier to x14.5 and im currently getting 3.770Ghz. how far should i adjust the fsb?

i tried raising the FSB but i can only get it to become stable at 261 and then at 262 i get BSOD when doing the IBT...

karikapu,

Maybe I missed it but I don't see where you provide any information about core or CPU socket temps under load. Instability can often be caused by excessive temps of the CPU cores and also the motherboard socket area where the Voltage Regulation Module (VRM) is located.

If you have not done so, please download and install HWMonitor. Have it open while you run the IntelBurnTest for 20 minutes at a known stable overclock configuration. Then capture a pic of the HWMonitor interface and attach it with a post.

What are you cooling the CPU with? The stock cooler or an bigger aftermarket jobber? I would not think the stock cooler would be enough to keep temps down in the stable range at voltages necessary to achieve your goal of 3.9 ghz.

What setting are you using for the IntelBurnTest? You should be stress testing with the "High" option for at least 20 rounds to create an honest stress environment. The default "Standard" setting is not stringent enough in my opinion to ensure that you are stable.

If

by the way i got ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 for my MOBO, Athlon IIx2 250 regor 3.5Ghz,coolermaster gemin II S524 for my cpu cooler, ASUS GTX660 OC edition for GPU. i normally get 39c on my current setup on idle and 52c on prime95.

Here you go Trents, his "current setup" was 1.52 vcore, did you forget your glasses buddy lol

I think its about the limit where you are at tbh mate, you don't realy want to out any more vcore into it and in all honesty its probably not to bad considering the board you are using. You could tweak for days and may only get 20mhz more, so I would just maybe try and walk the cpunb up a bit ~2400 and stress it for stability then call it a day, you wouldn't notice the difference from 3.77 to 3.9ghz in day to day computing anyway

Here you go Trents, his "current setup" was 1.52 vcore, did you forget your glasses buddy lol

No, I didn't forget my glasses they just don't work as well as they used to. Know what I mean?

A "Sig" would have been helpful, karikapu. 3.9 is a bit optimistic with the A2 250. It could probably be done with a 270. I got a AII 270 up to 3.88 ghz Prime stable recently for a customer and I could have gotten more with the voltages you have been applying.

Last edited:
I think its about the limit where you are at tbh mate, you don't realy want to out any more vcore into it and in all honesty its probably not to bad considering the board you are using. You could tweak for days and may only get 20mhz more, so I would just maybe try and walk the cpunb up a bit ~2400 and stress it for stability then call it a day, you wouldn't notice the difference from 3.77 to 3.9ghz in day to day computing anyway

alright then.. :) well im so happy for all your help... and yeah i agree with you on that i may not know anything about overclocking with what i have now compared to what i have before then i must say thats more than enough for me.. i really do appreciate that.. :cry::Dso the last thing that i would do when i get home would be changing the cpunb frequency to 2400hz and call it a day.. and btw im doing prime95 for 12hours on 2000ish Hz on cpunb and its still stable.. so should i still change the cpunb to 2400?

No, I didn't forget my glasses they just don't work as well as they used to. Know what I mean?

A "Sig" would have been helpful, karikapu. 3.9 is a bit optimistic with the A2 250. It could probably be done with a 270. I got a AII 270 up to 3.88 ghz Prime stable recently for a customer and I could have gotten more with the voltages you have been applying.

yeah i cant agree with you more... i actually felt that its a bit optimistic to reach that 3.90ghz on the one that it currently have, but hey im still very happy to what the results are and thats all thanks to all your help..to keny and the other guys.... :) :attn:

Last edited:
Back