• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help in overclocking Athlon II x 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, I didn't forget my glasses they just don't work as well as they used to. Know what I mean?

A "Sig" would have been helpful, karikapu. 3.9 is a bit optimistic with the A2 250. It could probably be done with a 270. I got a AII 270 up to 3.88 ghz Prime stable recently for a customer and I could have gotten more with the voltages you have been applying.

and by the way trents how can you do that sig? i was trying to do that ever since i joined in but i cant seem to find the place to edit the sig. im sorry.. :)

Click on little arrow next to Quick Links upper right of forum page. Drop Down has Control Panel > Edit Signature.
My signature has most of the information it is nice to know about a users rig.

and by the way trents how can you do that sig? i was trying to do that ever since i joined in but i cant seem to find the place to edit the sig. im sorry.. :)

There you go. The sig tool is not available to new members until they have posted a certain number of times and I think there is a time element too, like within one hour of the first post. When you have the gold star under your name it is available to you.

There you go. The sig tool is not available to new members until they have posted a certain number of times and I think there is a time element too, like within one hour of the first post. When you have the gold star under your name it is available to you.

ooooooooh.... coool... :attn: well ill be on this website for a very long time since im learning a lot of new stuffs and i also wanna maximize my rig.. :)

hi i just noticed something on my OC settings.. whenever im playing graphic intensive games i suddenly encounter FPS drops from 60ish FPS to 30 then its gonna climb back up to 60 again. is it because of the CPU being overclocked?

hi i just noticed something on my OC settings.. whenever im playing graphic intensive games i suddenly encounter FPS drops from 60ish FPS to 30 then its gonna climb back up to 60 again. is it because of the CPU being overclocked?

Indirectly. It's because you are exceeding the capability of the power phase components of your system under load and the overclocking is contributing to that. A higher quality motherboard with heavier duty power phase stuff would not do this.

Indirectly. It's because you are exceeding the capability of the power phase components of your system under load and the overclocking is contributing to that. A higher quality motherboard with heavier duty power phase stuff would not do this.

so should i just go back to the 3.5Ghz stable settings i got before that only uses the stock voltage of the CPU? and my only reason for overclocking my CPU is so it wont bottleneck my GPU. what do you think? should i get a new board or should i just go back to the 3.5GHz?

so should i just go back to the 3.5Ghz stable settings i got before that only uses the stock voltage of the CPU? and my only reason for overclocking my CPU is so it wont bottleneck my GPU. what do you think? should i get a new board or should i just go back to the 3.5GHz?

Forgive me, but if you want to eliminate some bottle neck you could just upgrade the cpu...

That board handles a lot of Phenom II processors and even a couple of FX cpu's as well.

I had the same board. Mine was a plus, meaning it supported most available processors AM3/AM3+. Really a nice board for the price.

Anywho... here's your cpu support page. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX/#support After some thought and reading this thread over a couple of times, I thought it would be an idea to mention it.

I'd look for an FX-8120 perhaps an FX-6300 for the 95w tdp. The 6300 will be easier on the power supply and the board considering you probably don't have active cooling on the VRMs.

Just my 2 cents, probably eliminate any bottle neck you fear to have right out of the box.

Forgive me, but if you want to eliminate some bottle neck you could just upgrade the cpu...

That board handles a lot of Phenom II processors and even a couple of FX cpu's as well.

I had the same board. Mine was a plus, meaning it supported most available processors AM3/AM3+. Really a nice board for the price.

Anywho... here's your cpu support page. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX/#support After some thought and reading this thread over a couple of times, I thought it would be an idea to mention it.

I'd look for an FX-8120 perhaps an FX-6300 for the 95w tdp. The 6300 will be easier on the power supply and the board considering you probably don't have active cooling on the VRMs.

Just my 2 cents, probably eliminate any bottle neck you fear to have right out of the box.

thats also what im considering for a long time now.. i was thinking of getting the FX6300 and staying with the same board, but i also was thinking of overclocking the current CPU and then getting myself a new mobo that supports SLI coz i wanna SLI my GPU..... im thinking of getting the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional board... now im not sure if i need to get a new CPU or a new MOBO since trentz said that a good mobo can illimate the issue that im having right now..

Last edited:
ShrimpBrime speaks words of wisdom. You are at or near the limit of your CPU's overclocking ability no matter what motherboard you have. To expect to eliminate your bottleneck by going with a more expensive motherboard is not realistic my friend. An FX-6300 running at stock frequencies will run rings around your Athlon X2 overclocked to the max. Having said that, I would still set your sights on the better motherboard as it will afford you the option of significantly overclocking even an FX CPU and would be laying a good foundation for overclocking in general. However, you may also want to upgrade your PSU as a cheapo PSU can really bite you in the rear. If it goes out it may very well take other components with it like RAM and motherboard. I've had this happen to me.

+1 to a psu being the most important part of your hardware, often overlooked..... but overlook at your peril, a bad psu will cost you 4x in blown hardware if it goes bad, get a good one or suffer the consequences, I can't emphasise this enough a good psu will save you ££££ in the long run ... Mark my words.

+1 to a psu being the most important part of your hardware, often overlooked..... but overlook at your peril, a bad psu will cost you 4x in blown hardware if it goes bad, get a good one or suffer the consequences, I can't emphasise this enough a good psu will save you ££££ in the long run ... Mark my words.

isnt my FSP HEXA 700 good enough for my setup? and can you give me some models to look at when it comes to PSU so i can also check it... :)

ShrimpBrime speaks words of wisdom. You are at or near the limit of your CPU's overclocking ability no matter what motherboard you have. To expect to eliminate your bottleneck by going with a more expensive motherboard is not realistic my friend. An FX-6300 running at stock frequencies will run rings around your Athlon X2 overclocked to the max. Having said that, I would still set your sights on the better motherboard as it will afford you the option of significantly overclocking even an FX CPU and would be laying a good foundation for overclocking in general. However, you may also want to upgrade your PSU as a cheapo PSU can really bite you in the rear. If it goes out it may very well take other components with it like RAM and motherboard. I've had this happen to me.

so should i get the FX6300 cpu then instead of getting a new MOBO? and isnt the FSP HEXA 700 not good enough?

so should i get the FX6300 cpu then instead of getting a new MOBO? = Personally that motherboard is not enough for an FX-6300 when it comes time to overclock the FX-6300. Have already seen one user here in the forum fight with that board and FX processor. It was not a pretty sight. If you never want to overclock the FX-6300 then it might do fair. Those entry level boards just seem to suck for heavy duty FX use when pushed like we do with an FX with a manual setting of cpu speed. IE: overclocking. .
RGone...

so should i get the FX6300 cpu then instead of getting a new MOBO? = Personally that motherboard is not enough for an FX-6300 when it comes time to overclock the FX-6300. Have already seen one user here in the forum fight with that board and FX processor. It was not a pretty sight. If you never want to overclock the FX-6300 then it might do fair. Those entry level boards just seem to suck for heavy duty FX use when pushed like we do with an FX with a manual setting of cpu speed. IE: overclocking. .
RGone...

so should i go for the board first... im thinking of getting the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional or the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0... what do you think?

Last edited:
Actually, when I research your PSU it's not that bad after all. We generally recommend units made by Seasonic, Corsair or Antec as they seem to produce quality units across the product line. But other companies do produce quality units, even if not as consistently. Yes, I would build the good foundation with a quality motherboard.

so should i go for the board first... im thinking of getting the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional or the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0... what do you think?

I have no experience with the ASRock.

The Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is a good board. There were some problems with the Gen3 version of this board and I would stay away from those (GEN3 has PCIE 3.0 while standard 2.0 is just PCIE 2.0) otherwise the Sabertooth with the right cooling will let you overclock damn near anything.

Actually, when I research your PSU it's not that bad after all. We generally recommend units made by Seasonic, Corsair or Antec as they seem to produce quality units across the product line. But other companies do produce quality units, even if not as consistently. Yes, I would build the good foundation with a quality motherboard.

alright... thats nice to know coming from someone who knows there stuff.. thanks for the info.. :)

Back