• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help in Overclocking Athlon IIX4 635 On ASUS M4N68TM_LE_V2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FPSKunal

Registered
Hi Guys,
I am new here and need help in overclocking my Athlon.
I have searched all over and tried everything i found but it did not help also i tried the suggestions mentioned in this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699754&highlight=athlon+635
But i was not successfull.
So if anyone can help me it would be great.
Here is my specs.
CPU - Athlon IIX4 635
Mobo - ASUS M4N68TM_LE_V2
Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 4X2 GB (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)
Graphics Card - Nvidia GTX560
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212
PSU - Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600W

Here is a screenshot of CPU-Z

CPU.PNG

Memory.PNG

SPD.PNG

Mobo.PNG

I would start by dropping the ram back by one divider and setting the timings manually to the XMP-1600. When you raise the FSB it raises the ram speed as well, so as you go up you'll possibly need to drop it again depending on how far you can go. Test with p95 and add V_Core when unstable. Keep an eye on your temps oo. If you can attach a shot of HWMonitor free version while P95 is running. These cores top at 60 and the CPU/socket temp is 70c

I would start by dropping the ram back by one divider and setting the timings manually to the XMP-1600. When you raise the FSB it raises the ram speed as well, so as you go up you'll possibly need to drop it again depending on how far you can go. Test with p95 and add V_Core when unstable. Keep an eye on your temps oo. If you can attach a shot of HWMonitor free version while P95 is running. These cores top at 60 and the CPU/socket temp is 70c

Thanks for the reply. I will try that, i have a query the last time i was in BIOS i was not able to find command rate anywhere and should the time mode be DCT0 and DCT1 or only one of them?

Thanks for the reply. I will try that, i have a query the last time i was in BIOS i was not able to find command rate anywhere and should the time mode be DCT0 and DCT1 or only one of them?
I looked through a bunch of screen shots of your BIOS the DCT0 and DCT1 do look like they may be the CR try it and see if it changes anything.

Not Command Rate.

DRAM Timing Mode is unique to Phenom, when you set the memory to Unganged(should be by default) you have two memory controllers ( DCT0 and DCT1)
DCT0: sets the timings for that controller
DCT1: sets the timings for that controller
Both: sets for both, two sets of timings on same BIOS page
Auto: should set both
DCT is 'DRAM ConTroller'. DCT0 and DCT1 refer to the memory channels on the board. So setting the switch to 'Auto' or 'Both' is the best setting...

That is one of those odd Nvidia chipset mobos and the command rate setting will look like 1N for 1T and 2N for 2T. Been awhile since I been in one of those Nvidia chipset bioses so I am not sure what the menu is called but the setting may show 1N or 2N for Cas setting.
RGone...

ok first update.
i have raised the fsb to 210
nb multiplyer to 10x
ram 800 at 9-9-9-24-41
selected both dct0 and dct1

here is prime 95 blend test
Screenshot 2014-01-12 20.23.11.png

3.00ghz.PNG

I would still drop the ram back one multi. You're at 1700 right now . Then raise the fsb in small increments and see how high it'll let you go at that voltage. Your cores are at 50 already so it's getting warm.

I would still drop the ram back one multi. You're at 1700 right now . Then raise the fsb in small increments and see how high it'll let you go at that voltage. Your cores are at 50 already so it's getting warm.

Ok will do that that. Also my mobo says that it can run 1800MHZ for the ram on OC is that achievable?

Ok will do that that. Also my mobo says that it can run 1800MHZ for the ram on OC is that achievable?

Possibly, it depends on the ram and the CPU. That CPU is based off of the Deneb core if I remember right and 1600 is a good speed for them considering they only officially support1333. So concentrate on the CPU and we'll get to the ram later.

Possibly, it depends on the ram and the CPU. That CPU is based off of the Deneb core if I remember right and 1600 is a good speed for them considering they only officially support1333. So concentrate on the CPU and we'll get to the ram later.
Ok. Is it propus or deneb?

It's a propus but they were a cheaped down deneb.

In my experience the Propus IMC will run RAM at a max frequency of about 1500 mhz. Above that would require too much voltage and timings that are so relaxed you loose the benefit. Yes, they maybe based on the Deneb core but they are the culls that had weak components and even many Denebs will not quite be stable at 1600 MHz memory speeds.

FPSKunal, one thing that can be confusing is how CPU-z reports memory speed. It does not report the DDR frequency but the bus frequency which is half of the DDR3 frequency. Some bioses express the memory speed this way as well. Keep that in mind as you work with memory speed.

Last edited:
Ok Guys,
Here is what i have got till now.
Did not run prime 95 till now.
Can you guys tell me if the numbers are ok. Specially the voltage.

Screenshot 2014-01-12 23.18.41.png

Do you still have Cool N Quiet enabled? Looks like it from the Multiplier line of the CPU-z "CPU" tab. Turn that off and C1E as well. Your numbers are looking good except I would work on overclocking the CPU/NB a little (should go 2400 MHz or so). To confirm stability of your overclock settings you would need to run Prime95 blend for two hours or so. Those CPUs top out at about 3.5-3.6 ghz on air.

CPU socket and core temps are fantastic.

Also, could you put your system specs in a "Sig" so they show at the bottom of every post you make?

My approach to overclocking that CPU would be to start the memory at 1066 MHz and then overclock the FSB as far as the board and the CPU will allow in order to get more overclock on your CPU. It will do better than 3.4 ghz. But unless you start the memory slower it will soon become the source of instability.

Do you still have Cool N Quiet enabled? Looks like it from the Multiplier line of the CPU-z "CPU" tab. Turn that off and C1E as well. Your numbers are looking good except I would work on overclocking the CPU/NB a little (should go 2400 MHz or so). To confirm stability of your overclock settings you would need to run Prime95 blend for two hours or so. Those CPUs top out at about 3.5-3.6 ghz on air.

CPU socket and core temps are fantastic.

Also, could you put your system specs in a "Sig" so they show at the bottom of every post you make?

Thanks will lower the ram speed and timings and will increase the cpu/nb multiplier. I have turned off cool and quite already and the max multiplier on this mobo is 14.5X

Good morning guys,
So i tried to lower my RAM frequency from 666 to 555 and also the the timings and tried to increase my cpu/nb frequency to 8X to 9X and the pc will not boot and will gives the error Overclocking failed Overvoltage failed. So i tried to push the cpu volt and ram voltage and no joy.
So i had to revert back to the settings which was posted before with the screenshot. Also ran prime 95 for about 20 to 25 mins and it didn't give me any error. At idle my cpu temp stays at 32,33 and whin run prime 95 it goes up to 50,51. Is that too high?
What can i do to get more out of this CPU and Ram, currently the ram is running at 1333MHZ.

Ok when making changes in the BIOS only change one thing at a time. The ram timings are fine just drop the frequency by one step. How long did you run P95 in that last screen shot?? Your temps do look really good that's why I ask. If we try for more CPU speed then yes the memory will need to be dropped again. But you really should do a test for a couple hors at some point to establish a baseline or fall back if things get off track.

Ok when making changes in the BIOS only change one thing at a time. The ram timings are fine just drop the frequency by one step. How long did you run P95 in that last screen shot?? Your temps do look really good that's why I ask. If we try for more CPU speed then yes the memory will need to be dropped again. But you really should do a test for a couple hors at some point to establish a baseline or fall back if things get off track.

Ok cool will try that. Here is a latest screenshots with the temps while running prime 95. Are the temps ok?

Screenshot 2014-01-13 23.21.12.png

Back