• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Is my rad toast??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Last edited:
the links dont work for me.

mix water and vinager, 50/50, fill it, shake it good, rinse, repeat till clean, it's called the radiator dance.

the links dont work for me.

mix water and vinager, 50/50, fill it, shake it good, rinse, repeat till clean, it's called the radiator dance.
Weird. They work for me even when logged out of drive... Lemme check them again.
I'll do the dance now too. *shakes body*
Copper and Brass doesn't rust ..... Silver.

Here is your rad ..... Blakice GT Stealth

http://hardwarelabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95&Itemid=482

Unless you mixed in some real bad metals you should be fine ........ give it a real good cleaning and run a bunch of water through it.
The 2 fittings that came with the EVO Supremacy were completely covered in rust inside. Only those 2 fittings were rusted...

My dad says they were steel while the rest of the fittings are brass.
Maybe that's what happened....

EDIT: Fixed links. Let me know if they work now. :)

Last edited:
SP really you've been a member for how long and you're hosting outside pictures?
:facepalm:
Capture4.PNG Easy peasy way to host them

Were the fittings that came with the Supremacy from EK? I'd be shocked if they weren't brass.

IMG_20151107_162637.jpg

(Resized)

That to me looks like rust or it could be the dye gunk residue. Might as well try the 50/50 vinegar rad dance and see what happens.

Give it a real .... real ..... really good flush man ...... strip down the complete loop and check everything and especially the CPU block.

SP really you've been a member for how long and you're hosting outside pictures?
:facepalm:
View attachment 170925 Easy peasy way to host them

Were the fittings that came with the Supremacy from EK? I'd be shocked if they weren't brass.
I didnt want to resize them as i wanted to retain as much detail in the pics as possible ;)

Ill find out about the EK fittings. Good old magnet!
View attachment 170926

(Resized)

That to me looks like rust or it could be the dye gunk residue. Might as well try the 50/50 vinegar rad dance and see what happens.
Might be the coating as well. I do recall seeing it before i first put together the first loop. I just thought it was the brass showing. :shrug:

Give it a real .... real ..... really good flush man ...... strip down the complete loop and check everything and especially the CPU block.

I did. Many times. Bits of gunk and all of my Feser UV blue dye came out. No wonder the dye faded.... It was all gunked up inside the rad!!!
Block had gunk on it and was black. Vinegar fixed the block up nice and shiny :thup:

Aha, bingo! We have a winner! Feser was evil back in 2009. Distilled and a biocide..
I didn't know about that...

Doesn't matter. I will not be using dyes again. I'll pick up some LRT advanced coloured tubing for next time. :)

Those EK fittings? NOT magnetic. So they can't be the cause, unless the plating on them somehow reacted and rusted...
I have the loop setup the same way this time too. Res -> pump -> rad -> block -> back to res.
I will check the block's fittings to see if there's rust again. If so, looks like it might be the rad....
IMG_20151107_170601.jpeg IMG_20151107_170608.jpeg
After cleaning the block with some vinegar:
IMG_20151107_170956.jpeg

This is where the dye ended up: in the rad :mad:
(bowl was from the sink so that's why it was dirty. I just happened to notice the blue water coming out of the rad)
IMG_20151107_183920.jpeg

And the completed loop in it's new case:
IMG_20151108_175302.jpeg

That is reinforced vinyl tubing yes. I put some in hot water and it just clouded, no plasticizer.. so it's a test to see if it does plasticize.

Very nice set-up Silver! You're cases are looking more and more professional. (Remember your first one? LOL) This one looks great! I don't know why you don't just go straight to the Primochill Adv LRT though.

Very nice set-up Silver! You're cases are looking more and more professional. (Remember your first one? LOL) This one looks great! I don't know why you don't just go straight to the Primochill Adv LRT though.
Thank Blaylock :)

Uggh Let's forget I made that case :rofl: What a hack job I'll say that.
I've now made 4 cases.... My favorites are #4 and 2 in that order. Lil brother is using case #2 right now.

Why not LRT? I love the way the reinforced vinyl looks. This is the last experiment for my loop. Once this stuff goes bad, I'm ordering Advanced LRT and installing it the day it arrives - that's a guarantee.

iirc.... we warned you against using dyes... more than once you simply said oh well we will see what happens! lol.

" http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-your-system?p=7824051&viewfull=1#post7824051 "

Yes, that it correct.

I knew going in that I would have to clean everything when I tear down that was expected, but I didn't expect the dye to simply fade away and get stuck in the rad like that. Sine the dye was liquid, I figured it wouldn't do that.

I was wrong.
The only dye that will end up in my system is RV antifreeze one day.

Not sure where rust would have come from that rad is copper and brass, though it looks like you are using the fittings I sent you this time. Just a thought what type of fittings did you use with the PEX tube last time especially for bends and such.

Not sure where rust would have come from that rad is copper and brass, though it looks like you are using the fittings I sent you this time. Just a thought what type of fittings did you use with the PEX tube last time especially for bends and such.

Brass fittings, with copper crimp clamps.
I had to use the gear style steel clamps on the outside on some fittings...
I'm using them again in this loop, and all clap show no signs of rust.

Maybe some steel/iron dust got inside the rad? :shrug:
Yes, all fittings this time except for 2 nylon elbows are the red barbs you sent me.

Strange...... sometimes strange things happen l, I know I never had anything not copper in a loop where it would get crap like that in the rad I have no idea.

Anyways new loop is looking good so far...... good luck with the new board.

IMO it looks more like the copper oxidized than any rust. Also if there was rust your water would have the same rust red color.

That's possible, that rad sat empty in its box for about a year since I had last used it. I have another identical except 280 sitting even longer in a box as well, if I can get at it without too much hassle I'll take a look maybe give it a flush if I have time tonight.

now if S_P would build that case four wide with 4 ssd mounts per board, hmmmmmmmmm.....................................

Back