• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Me Better My Cooling Setup! 56k warning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snagle

Help Improve My Case Cooling! 56k warning

Check my sig for system info. To start off here are some pics-

Window.jpg

CaseInterior.jpg

Adapter.jpg

BackFans.jpg

Panaflo120mmFront.jpg

its actually an M1a not an H1a
FrontCase.jpg

My heatsink is a vantec aeroflow but as you can see in the pics i took off the 70mm TMD fan because the noise got annoying and i replaced it with an 80mm Panaflo H1B.

Currently with all fans turned to full except the 120mm (at 7v), I'm running folding@home 24/7 and my temps(celcius) are as follows:
MBM: CPU=46 Case=34 Sensor 3=38

but Hmonitor gives me different...

Hmonitor: CPU1=34 CPU2=38 Mainboard=46

If my CPU really is at 34-38 then I'm pretty happy but I'm doing worse-case-scenario and going with MBM readings.

I'll be having some spending money coming in pretty soon (about $40-$50) and I want to get the biggest improvement out of my money. I bought my first dremel last week so any mods that require one are now do-able. A few things I'm considering getting:

1. New fans for the window: a 92mm to replace the old 80mm I took from the PSU that is currently lining up with the CPU fan. And second for the window I want to replace the stock raidmax (even though it is pretty :)) I want fans that aren't very loud, say under 35db, but i do have a rheobus so if somthing pushes a lot of air at 7v then it might work too.

2. New fan for CPU or new heatsink altogether? My adapter is pretty ghetto but it does seem to be working fairly well with an 80mm Panaflo H1B. The question is whether or not the aeroflow heatsink is very effective at all if its not using the TMD fan. I dont particularly wanna sell me aeroflow on ebay and have to take a loss on it but the 70mm fan was annoying with the vibration and all. Is there somthing i could do to the regular aeroflow heatsink and/or fan to reduce the vibration? Should i just stick with my current adapter and just buy a better fan for it? any recommendations on that?

3. New PSU? People say raidmax PSUs that come included with their cases are cheap. Mine is 420w and as we speak it is giving me the following:
12v = 11.84-11.90v
5v= 4.94-4.97v
core = 1.68-1.7v
I/O= 3.38-3.41v
Aux= 1.52v

How are those?
Everyone seem to love the Fortron PSUs and if I could find one with enough juice to power everything I have now and give me headroom for the future I'd really have to consider it. Buying a new PSU would also allow me to take my other Panaflo L1A out of mine and put it on the window, possibly eliminating the need for buying 2 new fans. I do want a PSU that is quieter than my raidmax though.

A few notes about my case: I know it is a cord jungle right now :), Im waiting to get my final fan setup decided and installed and then ill clean it all up which should also help temps a little. As the pic asks, should I cut the front plastic off of my case to allow for better airflow for the 120mm intake? I already cut out the metal grill that was right next to the fan but I dont know if the plastic needs to go also.

Thats it for now. Please post any advice you have for me :)

Last edited:
^^I was going to ask the same thing. Do you have a blow hole fan? If not that would help out alot. Blow hole fan will exhaust alot of the hot air that rises to the top of the case, I know the P/S will pull it out also but 120 in the top makes a huge difference.

I do not have a blowhole fan but I have been thinking about one. The only problem is i would have to take everything out of my case and I had a helk of a time mounting my mobo, I'd probably mess it up trying to get it out. Maybe it would be worth the effort though. Regarding those holes lol:p the front one I used, seriously, a pair of wire strippers from radioshack. The exhaust fans i originally cut them out with my friend's dremel but then later i thought i didnt make them big enough so i took the wire strippers and pulled the grilling up further. The 2nd window fan was made with a dremel but it isnt perfectly aligned with the CPU so i want to turn it into a 92mm so it will give more coverage.

Now thats what I call a ghetto looking case. :eh?:

Anyway, I suggest you just use something extremely temporarily to clean up the cables a bit, then remonitor your temps.
It'll make quite some difference in the state that PC is...

What do you guys think about a new power supply? I'm not really sure if my ratings are good or bad as far as the voltages go but if they are bad I would be able to buy one now if its less than $35 shipped and pretty quiet. I've heard good things about Antec< Enermax, and Forton/SParkle but I've never looked at specific models. Also are there any 80mm fans i could put on the cpu that have higher pressure but have equal or less nosie than the H1b?

Just sort out the wires you need and dont need. Put the wires you dont need behind your mobo panel so they are out of the way and use alot of strap ties. If that isnt a prime example of cluttered wires.

lol....I know it's a mess had it cleaned up before but then i got my fan controller and cathodes and it got all tangly. when i had it cleaned i was getting about 2c better on cpu and case temps so i know it makes a difference. I have some re-usable velcro ties here that i just got at staples and ill be using those to help clean up the clutter later. Even as a relative PC noob though, I can handle the cleaning.

What i need suggestions on is a good, low priced, fairly silent PSU and some recomendations on how to cool my cpu best without buying a new heatsink or having to go back to my noisy aeroflow fan (unless theres somthing i could do to lessen the vibration?) I measured and i can fit a 92mm on the window directly aligned with the cpu and on the cpu fan adapter. I think it would be best if they were the exact same fan and then i could run them in conjunction on 1 of my rheobus knobs so that they are always pushing the same amount of CFMs. I've never had a 92mm fan though so I'm not sure which are good at no more than 34-35 dba. I've also heard that for cpu fans that pressure is a very important thing you should consider too. Any help there?

I would get an Antec or Fortron psu and replace the fans with some vantec stealths. That video card is real power hungry, so i'd get at least 400W, maybe even 500W.

Assuming your heatsink fits a 92mm fan (or you have an adaptor), i'd do two panflos or two vantec thermaflows (self adjusting), or two sunons. If you're doing two fans (one on window one one heatsink), you can get slightly lower cfs than you planned, but not too much lower.

but 40-50 bucks wont get you far in the order of powersupplies.

I read on some posts awhile back that people were buying fortron 350W that would do like 450W with no problems for around $30? Nobody ever linked to where they were got theirs and I checked newegg and a few other places and couldn't find them. Anyone know what PSU this was?

Back