• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose my Ram please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clubber_lang

Registered
Guys...I'm building a rig right now and am using an Asrock Extreme 7 board , either 2500K or 2600K and so forth. Mainly just a surfing and gaming rig....but I do want to get some ram that performs well , can OC if I can figure out how to and looks good in my case.

Looking to get 8GB ( 2 X 4B )........and I know Gskill is really popular , but I am not partial to any brand...and I don't mind paying more for performance and looks. I don't care if it costs $30.00 or $100.00.....just so long as it gets the job done and is a good reliable set of ram.

Any set of DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V RAM should be good. You can usually find RAM in a combo deal if you're ordering from Newegg.

If no combo deal, get the low profile 30nm Samsung sticks. DDR3-1600 CL11 1.35V. Seems meh but they overclock like mad, I've seen DDR3-2000+ on them and they don't cost any more than a normal 1600MHz kit.

Thanks for the input guys. I don't know where to look for that Samsung Ram , but over on Newegg there are hundreds of choices.....just not sure what I'm looking at.

I always had good luck with Corsair in the past , and I came across these here , which I think are close to the specs you listed Knufire >>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

Like I was saying....if these won't cut it.....I have no problem spending more. Just want something reliable with good performance. And the OC'ing isn't "really important".....I just wanted to get something I could play with in the future. I'm not a bencher.....just a part time gamer that's been out of it for a very , very long time.

Sooo.....You guys ( or anyone else ) think the Corsair stuff up above may work? I think I may go hit the asrock threads and see if I can find some info there as well.

Sure, I don't see why not. I haven't had any experience with Corsair RAM before but I hear good things about them. I know their PSU's are tops and they make some fantastic cases. :thup: Have a look around and see if you can find an actual review of that RAM in particular. There might even be something written up here in OC'ers on Corsair RAM.

As most will say "RAM is RAM", but personally, my vote goes to the GSkills X series as being the best IMO. This came to me from sources outside of OCF and is certainly not the consensus by a long shot.

my vote for the sammy ram, bought two kits of the 8gig stuff from frys when it was $32 per kit. cheaper then newegg even with taxes taken into consideration, this was months ago though. egg is still asking the same price now vs then ...

Back