• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me decide between a new ATX motherboard or a better PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As I noted in my post #37 above, often the upper most x1 slots are physically above any slot in the case. In other words, they are for internal access only. If you look at the top x1 slot (I said above orange, I meant the slot with an orange box border around it) in the image link I provided, you can see any card in that slot would come way too close, or even touch the shielding around the audio jacks. That would not be good so pretty sure if you put that motherboard in an ATX compliant case, that top x1 slot could not be accessed from outside the case. The upper most case slot would be for that first x16 slot (surrounded in green in that image).

Here's a pic of an ATX board I have in a mid tower ATX case. Note the "short" slot is above the first PCI-e long slot and adjacent to the audio output jacks in close proximity. There is indeed, at least in this situation, an expansion slot in the rear panel that aligns with it. It is currently not in use and the cover is still in place. Not much room there to the video card, however, so any ad on card going in that short slot could not be very thick.

Attachments

• slot.png
    slot.png
    443.4 KB · Views: 31
:( I never said the top PCIe x1 slot on every motherboard will never have unhindered exterior access with every case. Please note in post #39 above, I said "if no access" and in my last post above, I specifically said, "often the upper most x1 slots are physically above any slot in the case".

"If" and "often" do not imply the absolutes of "always" and/or "never", just as a sample of one (on either side of the argument) does not make the entire opposing point moot.

So yes, you are right, trents. For "many" motherboards and cases, it is not an issue. "If" the motherboard has a top mounted PCIe slot that supports a card with unhindered access to the back, and "if" the case has a corresponding slot for that card, then by all means a network card can go in there and still allow the Ethernet cable access or the wifi antenna to be located outside the metal box of the case.

But "if" a card would interfere with other components on the motherboard, or "if" there is no corresponding case slot, then a different PCIe slot, "if" available, will be needed.

Now I'm starting to feel bad for the OP. I think we should drop this as it has no relevant impact to the OP. It doesn't matter what he could or could not fit in that slot, only that it increases clearance for aftermarket coolers. Maybe we should have this spun into its own thread if further discussion is needed.

Bill, my post doesn't contradict what you said. Notice that I said, "at least in this situation." Yes, I agree with you. It may not be so in every ATX case but in a lot of them I think that high short slot has exterior access.

Yes, it seems like we have bantered that issue about enough and the OP seems not to be actively involved with this thread any longer. But it was a good discussion and I thank you Bill for your input. It's not something I had really investigated much before but the discussion gave me a reason to look into it.

Back