• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me decide!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PicodeGallo

I think the time is now to pick up a mobo. They have a good sale on at Newegg. Here's what I need:

Future proof (about 3-4 years)
Sata 3 & USB 3
OC ability, nothing extreme, but I'd like to get a 955 or 965 up to 4.0 GHz
Stable & adequate BIOS
Onboard video could be handy, but I dunno...

I think the FX boards are overkill for me, but I'd consider one. I doubt I'll ever CrossFire, but who knows. It won't happen anytime soon. This was my original choice (aside from the FX version):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1910-Index-_-AMDMotherboards-_-13131631-L010D

Here's some for 10% off, I was looking at the GA UD3H at the bottom:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/Categor...EFL101910-_-EMC-101910-Index-_-MECH-_-MB-EB1A

The GA UD5 is also on sale for 169.99. Price is an object, so even this might be a little much, but if it's worth it, I'd consider it. I've got to buy pretty much everything--CPU, RAM, GPU, new HDD/SSD, DVD-ROM/Blu-Ray, etc, maybe a case, etc.

One last thing about onboard video: is the 4290 better or worse than a single 9800GT? Thanks!

You might want to describe a budget in mind because IMO onboard video and some other things you have described are by no means 'future-proof' for 4yrs. Heck, they are inadeqate for a lot of games right now. So, come up with a budget and list the hardware you are going to keep/continue to use and we can give you an idea of how to best spend it.

Typically future proof is overkill for now and sufficent in a few years... IMHO

On the Intel side I made some research about Sata 3 & USB 3, motherboards. For socket 1156 there are not yet "native" SATA3 AND USB3 solutions. And to build a system on socket 1366 is much more expensive. If I were you I would wait for the upcoming SandyBridge CPU and the next gen of mobos.
If you want something a little less expensive you can look on AMD offers. They have nice performance/value stuff.

The problem is, I can't wait much longer. I need new gear now. And my budget? Let's put it this way: I'm a cheap bastige, but I don't buy crap and will pay for something worthwhile, but I don't like paying for something I don't need. I'm not buying this for bragging rights.

The $100 boards look great, but just from the pics I can tell they are priced that way for a reason (no mosfet heat sinks, etc.). But if they will get the job done, and done well for around 3 years or so, then why fork out $80 more? That's almost 4 gb's of ram. This is my question--you guys are more in the know than I am. I game, I run lots of programs at the same time, and I'll OC some, but liquid cooling will never be in my rig.

Let me revise my onboard video question: Is Hybrid Xfire and this sideport memory thing (I don't know what that is) worthwhile? If not, then I don't need it.

The ASUS M4A89GTD you linked is a very good board and should overclock well.

You don't need a water loop to OC to 3.9-4.0 GHz on an X6 - many of them can do that with good air cooling ($30) and often a little higher with excellent air cooling ($70-80). Most X4's can reach 3.8 GHz with good air, 3.9-4.0 with high-end air.

I'm not sure how to answer your on-board video question. For me and MY gaming needs it would be fine but I play strategy and on-line games, none of which really tax a modern GPU. A 3DMark score of the on-board graphics would probably run about 25% of the 9800GT - the question is, Do the games you run use 100% of a 9800GT?

BTW - Sideport memory is memory for the on-board video. Most on-board video takes memory from the system's RAM, those with Sideport memory don't have to use system RAM ...

Back