• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me OC fine tune this OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
So right I've been out of the game for a bit and now that I'm trying to get back in to it but the BIOSs settings are a bit new and strange to me. So my rig is this one an Epox AF570+ULTRA.

Running some 4 4 4 12 24 I believe mushkin blueline DDR2 with a 6000+. So far I've been able to get 20mhz jump on the FSB settings which sets me at 220MHZ Fsb.

Will I be able to get a higher oc if I tamper with the "K8 to SB HT" and the "K8 to MCP55 HT"

My settings for K8 to SB HT are x1 - x5 and auto and for the K8 to MCP55 HT the settings are 8 8 or 16 16

Also could you explain or link me to something that explains these settings?
Thanks for any and all help in advance

most of the informations you want are easily found doing a search, here or on the 'net'....and there are 'how to" articles at many sites and also just lingering on the net: thus the reason maybe you are getting any 'written' hints.....

here is a link to AMD clocking, found with a 5 second search....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-pentium,2366-6.html

laterzzzzz....

Dude I've been searching but I'm not asking how to OC I've been doing that for years. I'm asking about two options I don't know about. Don't be rude and learn to read what people are asking.

No where in that link you posted or any of the searches I've made have I found info on k8 <-> SB HT or k8<->MCP55HT(Maybe I'm not searching right but I doubt that). Trust me I don't post here without searching first for what I need. So how about reading before you just drop some link thinking you know what is what.

Don't post links here unless it involves k8 <-> SB HT or k8<->MCP55HT. I'm just trying to fine tune my system not trying to OC. I've already got it OCd. You really think I'd have blue stars if I didn't know just a little bit.

Bump 39 reads and no help? Someone out there should know this.
I look at the new postings in this section every morning - e-mail notice, you know. ;) It turns out you posted just after they're sent out, which is just after midnight Eastern, so I didn't see it until this morning.

From your setting options K8 <-> SB HT might be the HT Link speed. There are two options on those earlier chipsets, one is CPU <-> NB speed and the other is NB <-> SB speed. I've always set them the same though in all honesty I've never seen any benefit or harm in setting NB <-> SB at 5X regardless of the clock speed. Since the NB speed itself isn't over-clocked the NB <-> SB speed should be fine at 5X (= 1000 MHz). Your CPU <-> NB, which is the same as the HT Link speed for most people, should be set to 4X with a 220 MHz clock speed. Many boards will run 1100 MHz easy but some do not. Better safe than sorry if you don't have some general consensus for that board.

The Link width, which is the second item on your list, depends mostly on the video you're running. I've always used 16^16v (up/down) since I have a good 16X video card (7900GTX) and at times transfer a lot of files in the background while doing other things. A few people have reported better OC's using 8^8v but I haven't seen it personally. That could be board specific though - most of my experience is with mid-/high-end ASUS.

Hope that helps and good luck tweaking ... :)

I look at the new postings in this section every morning - e-mail notice, you know. ;) It turns out you posted just after they're sent out, which is just after midnight Eastern, so I didn't see it until this morning.

From your setting options K8 <-> SB HT might be the HT Link speed. There are two options on those earlier chipsets, one is CPU <-> NB speed and the other is NB <-> SB speed. I've always set them the same though in all honesty I've never seen any benefit or harm in setting NB <-> SB at 5X regardless of the clock speed. Since the NB speed itself isn't over-clocked the NB <-> SB speed should be fine at 5X (= 1000 MHz). Your CPU <-> NB, which is the same as the HT Link speed for most people, should be set to 4X with a 220 MHz clock speed. Many boards will run 1100 MHz easy but some do not. Better safe than sorry if you don't have some general consensus for that board.

The Link width, which is the second item on your list, depends mostly on the video you're running. I've always used 16^16v (up/down) since I have a good 16X video card (7900GTX) and at times transfer a lot of files in the background while doing other things. A few people have reported better OC's using 8^8v but I haven't seen it personally. That could be board specific though - most of my experience is with mid-/high-end ASUS.

Thank you very much QuiteIce I'm glad you posted on this. That exactly what I was needing to know there isn't much if any documentations on those exact settings.

You rock so how is the Seti going for you? FAH is rockin good on this side of the fence.

I'm glad the explanation helped. I went through all this on my own back in '06 when I started OC'ing an Opty 180 on an ASUS A8N32. Tons of reading and research trying to figure out the new system architecture - but it was great fun learning it all! :) I can understand your problem trying to figure it all out at this stage. Even then I had to scrounge an awful lot for some of that information - most of it's probably archived by now.

SETI has been steadily moving along for me. No new additions to the farm recently due to the economy but the 940BE I got last year crunches well and all my s939's are still chugging away ... ;)

I don't know about the folding side but with SETI it's better and cheaper to add a high $$$ video card than build a new system. We've got unbelievable numbers coming out of the newer nVidia 2xx boards ...

Well what you have told me has helped out. I would like you're input however in this.

So right now I'm running Multi of 15 FSB of 220 for a total of 3300 HT is 1100 x5 now keeping that in mind I have figured a few different ways I could do this but which way is going to lead to better results.

multi 14 fsb 235 yields 3300 but HT of 940 x4HT< Don't think I want to go this way system will run HT 1100 and once you go back to 1000 its slow.

multi 12 FSB 253 yields 3300 and HT of 1012 x4HT

Should I be trying for ultra low Multi with super high FSB and shooting to even out HT? Should I just try bumping the HT to 1100 and forget the OC I have trying to achieve a better one? I'm not quite understand which is going to yield a better result. A high HT w/lowered OC or high FSB OC w/lowered HT.

I do know my PC runs faster with a higher HT. :shrug::shrug:

Whether you go 16.5x200, 15x220, 14x235, or 13x253 really doesn't matter at all to the CPU - it's all the same as long as the board can take it.

Are you sure it's HT Link speed that's effecting your performance or the RAM speed? (Not had much experience with high-end cards on old systems.) Right now your RAM should be running 413 MHz, which isn't bad, but I've seen good DDR2-800 running 460-470 MHz at stock timings.

You might try running 14x235 and do some tests. Your HT Link speed will be a little low but the RAM (if it'll run 1:1) should be screamin'.

Next you might try 12.5x264. Now, some boards don't like those half-multi's but it'll keep the high RAM speed you'd like (if your RAM will run that fast!) and still give you a good HT Link speed of 1056 MHz. If it doesn't like half-multi's then 13x253 should also work (I'd guess that what you actually meant to type, not 12x253? ;)) ...

Back