• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help me tshoot OG Titan OC performance degradation.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Railgun

Short version:

OC Titans @ 1.2GHz not giving any performance boost while OCd anymore.

Long version:

Many moons ago, I had some issues with one of my Titans giving some boot issue in that the mobo wasn't seeing a card very well. It would essentially not get past POST. Automagically, the issues seemed to disappear after a couple of card BIOS reflashes.

I have a custom bios on there now from I believe the HWBot engineering BIOS. Seems OK. I can clock the card to the target and it claims it reaches there, but I think the issue I'm having is voltage related. I've not yet taken readings off the card, so I'm somewhat relying on AIDA, nvidia Inspector and MSI AB. AB shows the voltage I'm targeting. As of the last test, 1.275V to see if an increase changed what else I'm seeing. I've also disabled LLC, done the corresponding changes within AB's settings to unlock voltage control, and the soft mod to enable 1.3V.

AIDA shows two readings; the VRM and the core. Inspector shows the core it seems.

The issue is the core voltage is reading 1.137 and 1.187 when under load. This is not changing when I bring the voltage down to 1.18 and 1.20. My expectation is that this should change. Now, this could be a BIOS issue, but that shouldn't be the case. I'm also relying on SW sensors here so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I'm curious to know whether I could simply be running into HW related issues with these cards now and they're just FUBARED. They've been under water the entire time I've owned them. One from new, one used from someone here, which I suppose was about a year old. There are slight HW differences between them, not from any mod though. My new one was an Asus variant. The used was an EVGA Superclocked.

At any rate, here's where things get strange...

Testing with Asus's RealBench, my GPU BIOS only clock of 1GHz my scores were as follows:

Image Editing: 124443
Time: 68.947

Encoding: 181702
Time: 65.976

OpenCL: 80346
KSamples/sec: 1994

Heavy Multitasking: 164129
Time: 59.587

System Score: 121585

Testing at 1.2GHz, it dropped to:

Image Editing: 98145
Time: 87.421

Encoding: 183229
Time: 65.426

OpenCL: 90189
KSamples/sec: 2313

Heavy Multitasking: 155720
Time: 62.805

System Score: 113782

Interestingly, dropping the clock to 1.1GHz and bumping the memory to 6.1GHz...

Image Editing: 125458
Time: 68.389

Encoding: 183870
Time: 65.198

OpenCL: 83627
KSamples/sec: 2154

Heavy Multitasking: 164262
Time: 59.539

System Score: 122578

What I'm not figuring out here is the first to marks are CPU bound (so Asus says), not GPU, and yet they drop. GPU load never hits more than a 55% power load (set for 125%, though the BIOS allows for 300%) and during non OpenCL marks, the clocks suggest the GPUs are doing next to nothing.

SLI marks in Heaven are barely better than a single card, which means something is really going on, but I don't have the tools to determine whether the GPU is just loading on errors because of the OC or not.

So...any assistance to determine whether my cards are really suffering from OCing at this point is greatly appreciated. They generally still perform very well at 1440 and things like Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous have no issues at cranked everything with this setup. But...I want to eek as much out of them as I can.

TIA!

Last edited:
IIRC any attempts to get slightly higher than 1.2 ended up in crashes, however, I'd limited myself to 1.2v at the time so I can simply see what happens if I also bump that to something a bit higher as well...

So, here's 1.3...

Image Editing: 104760
Time: 81.901

Encoding: 185125
Time: 64.756

OpenCL: 96751
KSamples/sec: 2483

Heavy Multitasking: 159736
Time: 61.226

System Score: 117242

And back to default card settings...

Image Editing: 126720
Time: 67.708

Encoding: 183513
Time: 65.325

OpenCL: 80346
KSamples/sec: 2016

Heavy Multitasking: 167905
Time: 58.247

System Score: 123551

I can't fathom why any CPU tests are being affected here...

Last edited:
What? I know that. The first two are CPU tests. The third GPU and the fourth a combo. Why would an OC on the GPU cause the first two metrics to degrade, in particular when it's not doing anything?

Test with something others are used to is my suggestion... Ungine Heaven, hwbot version would be great... I have no idea as I never run that benchmark. Im not sure if there is a problem/how that benchmark responds.

Perhaps my cards are degrading. It was definitely a voltage issue as Unigine Valley was having none of it. Got that stable (got 5554) but Heaven still dies every time at scene 6. I'm at 1.32v now but it seems the cards still don't break a sweat. They only hit about 45c. This is at 1.2 and stock memory.

Ill try some other things but that as far as I'm going to go with voltage.

Though interestingly, the Asus benchmark is still down with the gpu oc. Strange.

Well to be fair, that was in the attempt to get it stable within Heaven. Valley was stable at lesser voltage, and from what I've seen, many Titan's can handle it well, in particular on water. Mine on the other hand...I guess not. I'll need to separate them and test one by one to see which card is giving me the issue. Not knowing what the used card was clocked to in its previous life, I can only guess that that one is the cause. The Asus was only ever brought to 1.21 until this testing. Some guys are pushing 1.42 under water as well. It's possible that it just needs more.

Reference model power delivery was suspect at best IIRC... hopefully you have one that is more robust. :)

Fair point. If they die, they die (channeling Drago), and I toss something else in to hold me over until Pascal. Or...I just see how it works as is in a few games and to hell with Heaven. At 1.3, I may be able to get some extra core clock going as well.

I'll chalk this up to Asus' benchmark just being a crappy benchmark.

Back