• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me with a strange xmp/mobo issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D4rkParadise7

So I had this kit of ram: HyperX Predator(2x4 3000Mhz DDR4) since I built my PC 2 years ago running them nice and fine at XMP profile at 3000mhz and lately I found them again in stock at a decent price so I bought another kit to have 16gb...... the problem is that the XMP is no longer working.... is giving me OC failure.... at the start I believed that new kit is faulty so I took out the old kit from DIMM Slot 2 and 4 and put only the new one there and to my surprise it was working again with XMP at 3000mhz.... after that I took them out and put the old kit only on DIMM Slot 1 and 3 and I found out that maybe the slots are crazy -_- because It was not working with XPM again, it would give me OC fail again.... Funny is that if I would try the second XMP profile on 2666Mhz with ram only on DIMM Slot 1 and 3 It would work, but If I put both kits the XMP once again would fail on 2666Mhz....

The Mobo is an MSI Z170A Krait gaming and the bios is the latest version. The CPU which is an I7 6700K is OC at 4.5Ghz.
Is there any way to get all my ram working on 3000Mhz? I know that there is not a really big performance improvement, but it's killing me when I think that I can't use my ram at its full potential.....

P.S: I tried to put CPU SA Voltage and CPU IO Voltage to 1.200V but no luck and I wasn`t sure if to go and increase it more .....

So I had this kit of ram: HyperX Predator(2x4 3000Mhz DDR4) since I built my PC 2 years ago running them nice and fine at XMP profile at 3000mhz and lately I found them again in stock at a decent price so I bought another kit to have 16gb...... the problem is that the XMP is no longer working.... is giving me OC failure.... at the start I believed that new kit is faulty so I took out the old kit from DIMM Slot 2 and 4 and put only the new one there and to my surprise it was working again with XMP at 3000mhz.... after that I took them out and put the old kit only on DIMM Slot 1 and 3 and I found out that maybe the slots are crazy -_- because It was not working with XPM again, it would give me OC fail again.... Funny is that if I would try the second XMP profile on 2666Mhz with ram only on DIMM Slot 1 and 3 It would work, but If I put both kits the XMP once again would fail on 2666Mhz....

The Mobo is an MSI Z170A Krait gaming and the bios is the latest version. The CPU which is an I7 6700K is OC at 4.5Ghz.
Is there any way to get all my ram working on 3000Mhz? I know that there is not a really big performance improvement, but it's killing me when I think that I can't use my ram at its full potential.....

P.S: I tried to put CPU SA Voltage and CPU IO Voltage to 1.200V but no luck and I wasn`t sure if to go and increase it more .....

I'm no expert myself, but you came to the right place here. I recently had somewhat of a similar issue. For me it ended up being a bad channel in the mothboard so I had to return my motherboard. I hope your solution is easier than mine.

Next step would be to try 1 stck in slot one and one in slot 3 seperately

Back