• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help needed; V6GT is not able to keep 1090T cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fslateef

I have coolermaster V6GT CPU cooler (http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6668) and using coolermaster HTK-002 high-performance thermal compound. Some how this is not able to keep temperature from rising even when I overclock my Phenom II X6 1090T from default 3.2GHz to even 3.5GHz (I changed CPU multiplier to 17.5 and CPU-NB to 2400MHz and HT is at default 2000MHz), voltages are set to AUTO; and while running prime95 in 15 mins its touching 60C.

Now I am not sure what is causing this problem as CPU fans are running fine around 1800+rpm. Can anyone give me some suggestions ? This is the first time I am trying to overclock any CPU and using CPU cooler other than one which comes with CPU.

Thanks in advance.

Well the v6gt does support the 1090t lol..
AMD:
Phenom™ II X4 / Phenom™ II X3 / Phenom™ II X2 / Phenom™ X4 / Phenom™ X3 / Athlon™ II X4 / Athlon™ II X3 / Athlon™ II X2 / Athlon™ X2 / Athlon™ / Sempron™
To
1-How old it the thermal compound ??
2-Have you tried re-seating the heat sink ???
3-Have you tried different compound???
4- How much thermal compound did you use??
5-Is the fins on the hs clean and free of dust ???
Pics of the thermal compound on the heatsink and cpu helps because that says alot..

Well the v6gt does support the 1090t lol..
AMD:
Phenom™ II X4 / Phenom™ II X3 / Phenom™ II X2 / Phenom™ X4 / Phenom™ X3 / Athlon™ II X4 / Athlon™ II X3 / Athlon™ II X2 / Athlon™ X2 / Athlon™ / Sempron™
To
1-How old it the thermal compound ??
2-Have you tried re-seating the heat sink ???
3-Have you tried different compound???
4- How much thermal compound did you use??
5-Is the fins on the hs clean and free of dust ???
Pics of the thermal compound on the heatsink and cpu helps because that says alot..

Thanks for reply.

1- I did this heat-sink installation yesterday thus thermal compound is new
2- I think its properly seated, can do this again
3- I previously used thermal compound came with cooler but at that time my motherboard was faulty _and_ temperature was high when doing a bit of overclocking. Now I used the one I bought separately which is different in color from what I applied before, thus assuming they are different
4- I applied a very thin layer of compound on CPU _only_ (means the CPU's case was a bit visible from some places). I am not sure how-much compound to apply. Should I apply it to both heatsink and CPU ? and a bit thick layer ?
5- Fins on hs is clean as its almost new

I will post pictures when I apply heatsink again tonight. Although it will be good if I can get reply to my question mentioned in point-4 but reapplying/reseating HS.

Also can this be a issue with FAN directions ? As the flow should be IN from one side and OUT from other side, right ? I used fans in direction according to images on coolermaster site.

Also my casing is CM-690 II Advanced.

Thanks again

Your first issue is the fact that it's set to auto.. Whenever you up the multiplier or fsb/blck on whatever CPU and you leave the voltage at auto; the motherboard automatically over-compensates for voltage. So it could be adding .15v which would explain the high temps.

EG. If your stock voltage is 1.3v; and you leave it at auto but change the multi to OC the CPU to say, in your case, 3.5ghz; then the motherboard could very well just up the voltage substantially (like .15v) and overheat the thing!

When you run it at stock (3.2ghz) what's the voltage in CPU-Z under full load? Set that voltage manually in the Bios and try 3.5ghz again (if you're lucky you'll be able to OC to 3.5gh/3.6ghz without voltage change.. Though I'm not sure how well the 6-cores OC without voltage tweaks).

When Overclocking; try to avoid leaving any major settings at auto. Always manually set them.

Your first issue is the fact that it's set to auto.. Whenever you up the multiplier or fsb/blck on whatever CPU and you leave the voltage at auto; the motherboard automatically over-compensates for voltage. So it could be adding .15v which would explain the high temps.

EG. If your stock voltage is 1.3v; and you leave it at auto but change the multi to OC the CPU to say, in your case, 3.5ghz; then the motherboard could very well just up the voltage substantially (like .15v) and overheat the thing!

When you run it at stock (3.2ghz) what's the voltage in CPU-Z under full load? Set that voltage manually in the Bios and try 3.5ghz again (if you're lucky you'll be able to OC to 3.5gh/3.6ghz without voltage change.. Though I'm not sure how well the 6-cores OC without voltage tweaks).

When Overclocking; try to avoid leaving any major settings at auto. Always manually set them.

I don't have any idea about which voltage is what ? Can you point me towards some article/information about this ? Thats why I left them on Auto. My mobo is: GA-990FXA-UD3. It will be good if you give me some information about it. As its seems like the voltage is making CPU hotter (or might possible by thermal paste is not enough if we have to apply good quantity).

I haven't tested by CPU on stock speed last night after building my system again with this new mobo, but I recall that with old mobo from Asus my CPU temperature on stock speed under full 100% load (prime95) was at-least 13C less than what I get with stock cooler.

I will try this thing after reaching home tonight and will update you.

Thanks

A update, my CPU cooler is doing nothing (sort of) as its behaving same as stock cooler :( Same temperature on stock speeds with full load (58C to 59C). This means there is something wrong either with cooler placement, thermal paste or voltages :(

This is really weird that my CPU VCORE when loaded is 1.39V and in normal usage its changing from 1.39V to 1.49V (average is 1.45V). Why this is increasing without load and decreasing with load ?

Thanks Mjolnir and TorqueRanger, both reply helped me a lot to solve my problem. First I reduced my CPU VCORE and now its changing from 1.34V to 1.38V (previously it was 1.39V to 1.49V) and temperature started decreasing; The main problem was the FAN settings on V6GT: it has two fans which are supposed to work like one should take air IN and other have to push OUT _but_ both were pushing AIR OUT. I fixed that and reapplied thermal paste (with some more quantity) and reseatted the heatsink.

Now I overclocked it to CPU - 3.7GHz, CPU-NB - 2.6GHz and HT manually to default 2GHz with CPU VCORE reduced so that its changing between 1.39V to 1.41V.

Now after 2.5 hours of Prime95 Blend test; the temperature at average is 49C which once gone to 54C maximum. So I am quite happy now.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Back