• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP networking experts needed ATM and ethernet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

germanjulian

ok I am confused now and I tried to do research on this but it is nearly impossible to find anything good.

The Head Office is composed of the management and network support team on the seventh floor. The Payroll and Customer Service departments are on the ground floor. The large Sales team occupies both the third and fourth floors. An ATM backbone is used to connect these subnets. None of the other companies in the building are connected to this private Intranet. The Sales Server with its database and administration software is central to both the Sales and Customer Service Teams.

Ok I am supposed to network this but the problem is that they use an ATM backbone between the workgroups.
My solution goes like this:
each workgroup (department) is connected to a normal ethernet switch (or 2 depending how large they are) and these ethernet switches are connected to ATM switches and the ATM switches are connectd in the building in each floor to a central ATM switch which connects to a router for WAN support and to the sever. Now i am not sure if this is correct! can i connect ethernet switches to ATM switches? or do i need a router in between them? i wouldnt think so. and how shall i connect the Sales Server to the two teams? what does it mean by central.

there are more then one awnser but I dont want to say (and I am sure we are not supposed to) use the cisco ethernet with in build ATM bride switch ... lol.

Back