• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, newest drivers ruined my system "MSI 7950 GX2"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rcmorr0924

Hey everyone,

With all the talk about crysis I wanted to try it for myself, I downloaded the demo, ran it on all medium no AA/AF at 1024x768, and got around 32-36fps. I am running an older driver forceware 91.47, so I thought I could get better fps if I update my driver. Well I download the driver that was mentioned for the crysis/timeshift demo. I uninstall my old driver from add/remove programs, restart my pc and as expected the resolution was reset and then proceeded to install the new driver I just downloaded. As I was installing the driver my screen went black for a second then came back "Has happened before when ever I install a driver", well then it goes black again but stays black for prob 3-5 mins and won't come back. So I turn off the pc and reboot, well the comp reboots fine and sure enough it looked like the driver installed, I had the little nvidia icon by my clock and everything seemed fine. I opened the Nvidia control panel and saw it worked, I set my card to performance mode, but realised I could no longer view temps or manually clock the card, I needed to download a new program called Tune from Nvidia. Well once Tune was intalled I messed around with it and reset my cards over clock that I have been using for months. I start up Crysis and the game skips every 10 seconds or so very annoying. I restart my pc and everything seems normal, I check to see if all the settings for my card were the same, they were not, my over clock did not stay. I said screw this I will use Riva Tuner, the program I have always used and feel most comfy with. I set the clocks in Riva Tuner and turn the fan speeds to 100% then restart the PC. Upon restart everything seemed fine till I got to my desktop, when I moved my mouse my screen turned into a patch of blue squares, and was unable to get back to my desktop screen. I restarted the pc and it did the same again, but this time the blue squares vanished and let me back to my desktop. I quickly undid the over clock and set my card to standard clocks on both riva tuner and Tune. Restarted my pc and the same blue squares appeared, turned the pc off and on till I could get to my desktop again, once I was able to get to my desktop I uninstalled the driver and riva tuner. I then went to omegadrivers.net and downloaded the latest omega driver from the website and installed it, but it seemed to never install, it would say install complete but it wasn't. Finally I got fed up and just did system restore and now my pc works fine again as far as I can tell, except now it takes longer to load windows for some reason.

I am sorry for the wall of text, but does anyone have any idea why this happened? I did not use driver cleaner, I forgot how to use it, it's been over a year since I have done it. Is it possible this happened because I did not use driver cleaner?

sounds like you got a mixed install to me.
when you rebooted after removing the drivers windows detected the g card and started installing your old driver's while you installed the new ones.(has only happened to me after sp2 iirc)

for me i alway's install them in safe mode to avoid that. it might bring up the found new hardware wizard but tell it no and do your install then reboot as normal. i do recommend using driver cleaner though.

hope that helps:beer:

Don't recommend driver cleaner why?

I have used it for years and test every single beta driver that shows up and
have never had any problems with driver installs ever.

sounds like you got a mixed install to me.
when you rebooted after removing the drivers windows detected the g card and started installing your old driver's while you installed the new ones.(has only happened to me after sp2 iirc)

for me i alway's install them in safe mode to avoid that. it might bring up the found new hardware wizard but tell it no and do your install then reboot as normal. i do recommend using driver cleaner though.

hope that helps:beer:

I had a similiar problem, make sure you get rid of any leftover driver using drive cleaner pro, then install latest WHQL driver from nVidia (not modded versions or from card maker)
Also could be your PSU, if you have a unstable supply your video card will fail which 9/10 times result in BSOD or black screen

I had a similiar problem, make sure you get rid of any leftover driver using drive cleaner pro, then install latest WHQL driver from nVidia (not modded versions or from card maker)
Also could be your PSU, if you have a unstable supply your video card will fail which 9/10 times result in BSOD or black screen

My psu? I have 610W silencer from Pc power and Cooling, you think it could be unstable?

Back