• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Now power, new build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PseudoSeven

Registered
Hello

Hardware as followed.

Case - nzxt s340
Mobo- asus 170A
Cpu - Intel I5 6600k
Hard drive - WD 2T black
SSD - sandisk extreme pro 240
PSU - Corsair rm550x
RAM - Corsair vengence 16 gigs.
Gpu- sapphire nitro rx480.

So, I've made sure everything should plugged in correctly, cross-referenced the motherboard user manual. I've taken out the ram and have a single stick in the first dimm. I've removed the GPU. So far all I have is a single green led lit up on the mobo next to pwr_led and the Cpu heatsink fan will start to spin for a split second then stop. Any ideas to cause and solutions?

Symptoms of bad PSU or motherboard usually.
Remove everything for the case and assemble on table with just CPU, and 1 stick of ram. If no boot, try a different PSU.

is all of this inside a case or outside?

If its all inside a case already, take it out and place the motherboard on top of a piece of cardboard. Re-check the seating of the CPU and ensure both plugs on the mobo are attached. Try to boot from there if you can.

You can also try to jump the PSU without plugging it in to the mobo.. need to connect I believe pins 16 and 17.. but someone please check me on that.

I know this will sound silly, but, power switch on the back of the PSU on and cord seated fully? Front panel connectors (power and reset switches) plugged in to the mobo correctly? All connectors fully seated on the mobo? And on the PSU if modular? I know these are all pretty basic, but I have done every one of them at one time when building or reassembling a rig. Excitement, in a hurry, miss something silly, and head scratching.

Not at all Alaric. I've checked all my connections inside the case but it's hard to be 100% sure. Everything seems properly connected. I'll be disassembling it and reassembling it outside the case shortly. Just bummed out, I just helped a friend build his first computer with out any issues and this is my first build in quite a few years, I was looking forward to getting her up and running. Ah well if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck.

Alright. Well a small update I guess.

So I tore the build a part and rebuild it outside the case and voila it it seems to be working.... Hu. I will put it back together inside the case now and see if I can get her to boot up again.

Pulled everything out of the case yet again and. Voila she starts. As soon as I put it all back into the case the Cpu heatsink fan will spin for a split second and stop. This is so damn frustrating! Never again NZXT! Never again!

I did a build in a Phantom 410 recently and tossed two motherboards and CPUs in the closet because I thought they were bad, even though they worked before I installed them (used). Now I'm thinking I should try them again to check them. Are the front panel switch connectors marked correctly? Maybe a wire rubbed through an ungrommeted hole somewhere between the front panel and the connectors?

Make sure all the motherboard standoffs screwed into the tray match the available mount holes in the motherboard. It is not uncommon for new builders to put them in the wrong place or have one too many such that you get a ground out against the underside of the board.

Back