• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help oc'ing AMD Athlon x2 4200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Screens:
p95 blend test 25-30 mins:
View attachment 118560
bios:
View attachment 118561
CPU:
View attachment 118562
Memory:
View attachment 118563
SPD:
View attachment 118564

Thanks for any help I can get! :)

This chip has a locked multiplier right? (Meaning it only goes up to what it is set at now)

If so, you're going to have to OC using your FSB, and just be forewarned your processor is running pretty close to the max stable temp of these AMD parts (Really shouldn't go past 55c on them)

Yeah. so what can I tweak in my BIOS?

Okayy. Thanks for the warning. XD

Yeah. so what can I tweak in my BIOS?

Okayy. Thanks for the warning. XD

OC is going to be limited by your FSB, no doubt. Any gains you'll get will be by increasing this.

I suggest turning your RAM down one multiplier and loosening its timings a bit from what they are automatically set at before you start. (So, 266MHz 5-5-5-15-20-2T). This will allow your RAM to clock up with the FSB without crashing you.

Then increase your FSB by 5MHz a go, until you run into a BSOD / thread fail in P95.

If your temps are good (Below 55 or, at worst, 58c), then give your CPU a single voltage bump. If you still lock up or have fails during P95, try a bump to your CPU-NB as well.

You'll really have to feel around, but I think you should be able to get about 245-255 FSB, and thus your max OC-- only if your temps are kept in check.

Are the temps that you refer are w/ blend tests already?

Oh wow, I didn't see your core temps on your SS. You're already at your limit. Don't increase your voltage any x_x

Or get a better cooler-- you running stock?

yeah. my other fan was !@#$

so what'll i adjust?

Well, set your cpu smart fan to disabled or always max, this should keep you a degree or two cooler. Run Prime 95 for a bit and post your HWM temp resutls here for me once more.

60c is pretty darn hot for Athlon :(

Try lowering your vCore by 1 bump. (Its set on auto now, whatever the smallest amount you can lower it) CPU Voltage might be what its called.

You may maintain the same stability at lower temps, you may not. Give it a try :D If it remains stable, we may be able to get a -tiny- overclock out of it.. your temps are just so darn high ><

i got a prob :(

i tried tweaking the clock @ 250(gave up at 260)
then the ram @200
and the multiplier at x6
then the voltage was stock

i turned up the voltage at 1.4 and it worked

but i turned it back to stock then made the clock at 2.5

then my pc powered on, but nothing on monitor.

should i hard reset my CMOS or something?

i got a prob :(

i tried tweaking the clock @ 250(gave up at 260)
then the ram @200
and the multiplier at x6
then the voltage was stock

i turned up the voltage at 1.4 and it worked

but i turned it back to stock then made the clock at 2.5

then my pc powered on, but nothing on monitor.

should i hard reset my CMOS or something?

Yep, if you can't get it to post.. Unplug the computer, hold the power button down for 3 seconds, then remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes-- this should reset any frequency changes you did. I'm still advising you against OCing with those temps..

We need to see the 3 captures of CPUz (free version) so we can tell what the ram and other busses are doing. The three captures are the first three shown below.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much. Of course beginning with a setting that is 'known' to pass P95 Blend mode makes good sense, because a failed P95 Blend test is not going to give a baseline of a configuration that 'does' work.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

CPU:
Capture.JPG
Memory:
Capture2.JPG
SPD:
Capture3.JPG
HwMonitor (I accidentally ended p95 before snipping it but i think the temps ranged about 55-60C. The test ran for 26 mins.)
Capture4.JPG

Okay your problem as shown by the captures is going to be HEAT and Too much of it. You CPU Temp seems to be 62c already at default cpu speed and the core temps are already at 59c and 64c when loaded/doing work. At these default/beginning cpu speed your voltage to the cpu is 1.27Vcore. That is not a high or bad voltage to the cpu.

BUT you will need more voltage to the cpu to run the cpu faster and that will bring more HEAT with it. I just don't see any room for extra speed with the temps you are already experiencing.

You need a better HSF (heat sink fan) for your cpu if you wish to overclock the cpu by any real speed. A pretty good aftermarket cpu cooler back in the heyday of the 939 boards was an XP-90 cooler by thermalright. Do not have a clue if such is still available. The Arctic Cooling things that were cheap were nearly useless compared to those Thermalrights of that day. Just so you know.

After long periods of use, dust accumulates in the fins of any air-cooled HSF. The Heat sink compound dries out and does not transfer heat to the HSF as well. Doing house cleaning to remove dust from fins and blades of fans helps sometimes in lowering temps. REapplying good heat sink compound often lowers temperatures as well.

I have to clean my HSF fins about every 6 mos to keep my temps in check on my 4600+ and I REapply the heat sink compound about once per year. I run that 4600+ at 217x12 = ~2600Mhz all the time. But it will heat up pretty good if dust gets in the HSF fins very much. The 2600Mhz overclock takes roughly 1.375Vcore. You are currently running 1.27 Vcore and that means you would most likely have to up your Vcore by 0.1V and that is likely to kick the crap upward on temps.

I cannot see easily the pics you have attached since they are small and taken at some kind of angle. So I don't know what term your bios is using for the FSB/HT Ref Freq, but you might raise it from 200 to 205 and run Prime 95 for 20 mins or so and monitor the temps regular to see they do not shoot thru the roof.

205x11 = 2255Mhz or an increase of 55Mhz cpu speed and a slight increase in ram speed as well to DDR750 which should be okay if you are using DDR800 ram. You might need to raise the Vcore to the cpu to 1.3ish to stabilize even that small clock since 1.27VCore is low as I remember it.

At any rate a small boost in FSB/CPU Ref Freq from 200 to 205 and running Prime 95 Blend mode for 20 mins should tell the story pretty quick as to your cooling situation or lack thereof. If P95 Blend mode does not fail during the 20 min run, post up the 4 captures as previously outlined and we can take another hard look at what is happening.

Good luck man. RGone...ster.

Mr. Piggy,

Didn't you post about overclocking this same system a couple weeks ago? Seems like I told you then that your temps were too high and that you needed better cooling but you said it wasn't in your budget. Is something different about the system now than then?

Mr. Piggy,

Didn't you post about overclocking this same system a couple weeks ago? Seems like I told you then that your temps were too high and that you needed better cooling but you said it wasn't in your budget. Is something different about the system now than then?

Yes you did 'trents' in this thread here >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719737

I did not know I was most likely wasting my time since he did not hint that he had already been hit head on by the heat. I do not normally try and help with these old rigs since the effort to return is small compared to the later platforms. So I got bit. Hehehe.

Thanks for the heads-up 'trents'. RGone...ster.

Back